Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install the sensor for the air/fuel guage. My 4 into 4's do not have any ports for such an item. Where do i install it? My headers are already coated......can i install it on the bottom of one? Or how about somewhere on my pipe where it meets the header since those are not yet coated.

thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mine are ceramic coated silver. I have an EFI car so I had the bungs welded in on the inboard surface. I was surprized at the minimal discoloration of the coating. Very little impact. No body can see it in that location.

Dick

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Eric - mine are about 11-12" away from the header flange. I can't remember which two primaries I used... whichever two were easiest to weld since I did it on the car.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
933 Posts
eric,
I don't know about an air/fuel sensor but I welded my o2 bungs on #1 and #4 on the underside about 6 inches up from the flange where the sidepipe bolts on.( Actualy now that I'm thinking of it, it is the forward lower pipe of the four, maybe not 1 and 4).
Too far outboard and flying debris may cause a problem with the wires.
You may want to call the maufacturer to see if they have a recomendation on header number and distance from the engine.

hope this helps,

chris.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
If it is FFR 4X4's, pipes 4 and 8, just after the first downward turn.

Frank.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Can the "bungs" be bought someplace? Where?

·
Long Time Member
306 Posts
You can buy the bungs at any muffler shop. As far as where to put them, I put mine in #2 & #8 about 10 inches from the head. You cant even see them. I will caution though that if you dont put them in the collector you will only get readings from those two cylinders which might not be a true O2 reading. I found this out when I dyno'd my call and they were burning a chip for me and my O2 gas readings were varying all over the map. If I had it to do over I'd put them in the collector.
Just my $0.02 worth.

·
6,546 Posts
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but why don't you sell the FFR ones and get the Tristate headers?

They come with 02 bungs if specified.
They come with Auger style mufflers.
They're made by Kooks.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to use the FFR one cause i got the pipes for free (on a trade for stuff that was no longer needed) and i got the headers for am amazing price and were coated already. So wither way i look at it, my cost for the headers (coated) + coat to coat the pipes and if i install the auger spirals still will be more that 1/2 price than the Tristates setup + coating.

I think i will call Autometer and see what they have to say. I think the kit only comes with 1 sensor, i have to check on that too....

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
You will want to put your a/f sensor at the collector to sample all 4 cylinders, I think.

For the EFI oxygen sensors, a single pipe before the collector seems to work fine. But remember that the EFI computer only uses them in closed-loop cruise mode, so sensor accuracy is not important for things like WOT mixture control.

Forrest

·
FFR Driver
2,154 Posts
Originally posted by Eric 427 Shelby:
I am going to use the FFR one cause i got the pipes for free (on a trade for stuff that was no longer needed) and i got the headers for am amazing price and were coated already. So wither way i look at it, my cost for the headers (coated) + coat to coat the pipes and if i install the auger spirals still will be more that 1/2 price than the Tristates setup + coating.

I think i will call Autometer and see what they have to say. I think the kit only comes with 1 sensor, i have to check on that too....

Eric
Man, your always trying to save money Eric! Your tighter than two coats of paint! I am jusy going to buy the Tristate headers and be done with it. I wish I had your willpower when it comes to buying things for the car. :rolleyes:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Ozona..

Not to be a jerk..but
1 reason would be no slip fit $hit. Ill take bolt together pcs anyday.

Phil

Ps I do like the lobak augers better though.

[ November 28, 2002, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: RoadRebel ]

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i like the idea of the tristates pipe - the Auger style muffler in the pipe. But i liek the way the FFR one sit on the car better, they are bigger in diameter, higher off the ground and they do not angle towards the ground. So therefore i went with the FFR set up cause i like they way they look better and i can modify them to sound the way the tristate ones do.

Pat - you should come by and see this new set up its real nice.

Eric

1 - 17 of 17 Posts