Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know a place to buy teflon in small sheet (approx 6" x 6" )? (Montréal or Ottawa preferably)

My ebrake cable holder (the U joint btw the front and rear cables) rubs on the tranny tunnel 3/4" frame tubes. Looking to slide the sheet btw the U and the frame.

Found thin cutting board material at Walmart, but not sure how long it will last... Not sure I like the color either....

-W

· Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JF... I don't see much that is thin enough... 1/8" is probably the thickest I could squeeze in. Did you have the same issue or placed the brake handle elsewhere?

Same for LeeValley, unless I decide to cut it down in thickness and have multiple strips...

I coukd use pics if anyone had the same issue.

Here's a pic of my setup.

-W Auto part Fuel line

· Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
Re allign

Wormie. I think if you re-allign your cable si they sit square on the braket of thé frame and that you move your emergency brake towards the trany you should be able to get it to clear.

Mk4

· Registered
154 Posts
Teflon

Johnston Ind Plastics. There is glass filled teflon and virgin teflon. Virgin teflon is more expensive but since you only need a sq ft ,it's worth it. UHMW has great wear properties but nothing lasts like teflon if temperature is involved. Johnston Ind plastics has both. 416 252 9551. I think they have a location in Montreal as well.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Another product is called PUCKBOARD and it comes in many colors. I have used it as armor on my snowmobile and quad suspension and undercarriage. It is easy to cut with a table saw or hand saw and it is easy to shape with the use of a propane torch. Here is a piece I made to make my emergency brake cables slide easily as they will be wrapping around and under the 4" tube just behind the transmission. Just drill some holes and rivet it on.

Attachments

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Found thin cutting board material at Walmart, but not sure how long it will last... Not sure I like the color either....
That actually would probably work fine, and still last for years. It's not like you can see it down there, so who cares about the color..lol..I would paint those rusty parts if your really worried about looks..:)

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, painting those is in the plan, I was just fitting them in, and will try to move the handle closer to the tranny like JF suggested, but there isn't much room for adjustments... might have to elongate the bolting holes...

· Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
Slots

Slots is the way I went on this istallation, I even bent the actual handle a bit towards the passenger SOS it would clear the aluminium panel of the trany. The most important is that the lever and câble move freely

Cheers

Mk4

· Registered
1 Posts
Teflon sheet

Rod, sheet and tube exhibits the lowest electric constant and lowest dissipation factors of all solid materials. Because of its strong chemical linkage, tube, rod and sheet shows very little attraction for dissimilar molecules. This results in a coefficient of friction as low as 0.05. Once again, because of this chemical bonding, plastic resins are virtually insoluble. Click on teflon pressing sheet for more infromation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.