Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just bought my AC Motors VIN plate from Finishline, and need to get it engraved. I understand that the "Chassis No" is my FFR number. However, the plate also asks for the "Engine No". Where do I find the engine number?

I'm using the donor engine, but converted to carb. Got the donor pallet from AMP Perf in AZ. I've heard that the last 6 or 8 numbers of the VIN are the engine number. Is this true? I need to have that plate engraved real soon.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Chuck has the location right....top, in the back behind the intake.

The problem is that Ford was never consistant. I had 4 302 blocks in my garage during the build. One had a clear number that matched the car VIN. One had JFJF and the rest of the number was unreadable. I've heard that this happened with machining at ford before the block even left the factory. The explorer motor in the car has absolutely nothing in the number space. Clean and unstamped.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chuck,
I looked just behind the intake manifold last night and it wasn't there. There's clearly a flat place on the block where it "could" be, but it's not.

Can anyone say for sure if it's the last 6 or 8 digits in the VIN (from the donor)?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,736 Posts
FWIW
I got a crate engine with out any numbers on it, (they assume a crate engine will replace an engine already in service and inherit that serial number). On my plate I had "5.0L 345HP" engraved.
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
The older motors (60's) had a number cast on the bottom of the motor, I think on the drivers side.
It would be visible even with the pan on but very close to the pans edge.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
I have a couple portions of letters and that's it. FWIW I wouldn't put a ser no on the plate that's not factory original on the block. Might cause inspection issues somewhere in the future. When I looked into this in NH, it was a big part of the registration process to assure the parts were not stolen. If you have a plate with a ser no that's not factory stamped, you might have trouble down the road. I like FFR1668's idea.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll check all those places. I know that the crate motors come w/ a serial number which makes the Engine No on the VIN plate real straight forward. But finding it on a donor motor is quite a pita. I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I have a FMS crate short block in my TBird, a "B-50 sportsman" block for the Cobra, and a spare short block made from a new Ford bare block. None of these engines were ever installed in a car at the factory, and none of them have any type of serial number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.