Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One good answer fixes two cars! Got two of these things, and both do the same thing.
302's,great compression,new aluminum heads,alum roller rockers with tall baffled covers, other steel rollers, tall covers, no baffles. PVC into carb, other cover into air cleaner.
While playing follow the leader and just jumping around on the mountain roads, no obvious smoke. Little puff of black when secondaries open, but thats it. Using about 1 1/2 qt in 7 to 800 mi. No smoke on start,no smoke on deceleration. Not a drop under either car. My only guess is pulling it back into the intake at an even rate no matter where throttle is positioned(at drive speeds). Any ideas? I've run out.
Marc A

·
FFCobra Fanatic
929 Posts
My 89 LX drank oil at a quart per 800 miles from new. Ran it past the rings. Didn't care. The thing ran like a scalded dog. Later Ford changed piston rings. They got slow.

Either that, or your PVC is feeding the intake too much cause you have a different intake and didn't plumb the PVC to both ends of the plenum like stock? (Been there, done that).

Or.. my changing the lifters to aluminum rollers required eliminating the baffles in the valve covers which allows oil up the tube to the MAF sensor, thus causing oil consumption.

:eek:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt,both these are carbed with performer RPM manifolds. Aluminum roller rocker car had no baffles. Went to Edelbroch classics (way taller) with baffles. No difference. Going by the rings I would think it could be seen at different power settings.
Marc A

·
Registered
628 Posts
Couple of items:
1. Under the intake at the hole where the PCV mounts, there should be a baffle, Usually not supplied with after market intakes.

2. In using non stock heads, the vacuum pulled due to larger valves pulls oil in through the PCV. Suggest decreasing the size of the PCV line by using a smaller vacuum port and bushing the PCV hose to match port diameter.

The PCV system in my engine is not closed loop now. PCV still in place, but using a vented filler cap to allow air flow through the system. The system pulls air in through the filler by way of vacuum from the PCV. If you are getting oil on the atmosphere side of the system (filler) there may be another problem.

I still get oil in the throttle body, but not anything like before.

Hank
FFR 1776-II

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.