Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although they don't have to be completely hidden I would like to mount my front speakers in a relatively inconspicuous location. I was thinking just inside the top left & top right of the footboxes or possibly under the dash left & right facing down. I would think the prior would be preferable from asound standpoint. Particularly if I can angle them slightly towards the cockpit. If anyone took this route any info on how you mounted and/or enclosed them would be great.

Pics would be most appreciated.

Oh, and yes we do need a stinkin sound system! :D

Thanks,
Matt

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Pics of stereo, go to www.verycoolparts.com and look at the stereo page. In the picture of the stereo coming out of the trans tunnel, look between the stereo and the steering wheel and you will see where I put 6x9's on a 3/4"thick mounting plate and cut out the foot box aluminum for the speaker magnet. They are virtually hidden and still sound good. I foamed in the back side of the magnet opening to seal it and to seal the body by the door hinge.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne, looks cool but my official "Wayne Presley Electrically Activated Pop-Up Stereo" is in the way. It hinges at the very front of the trans tunnel. (BTW the radio came out perfect. Ended up wiring your relays to a dash mounted switch. Everyone that drops by has to ask me to show them how it "rises up" out of the tunnel! I hope to post pics in the next week or so! Thanks for the linear actuator, relays, and all the advice!)

Bill, based on my configuration not sure those locations will work. My speakers are a bit larger. and the location on the drivers side for me is taken.

So far behind the dash facing down looks promising. Also thinking that upper outside corners of the footbox openings right behind the 2x2 might work if I can come up with a reasonable way to mount and enclose them.

-Matt

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have JBL component speakers for the front speakers. I'm making boxes for the 5" woofer component speaker. They will be attached to the underdoor aluminum panel. This is similar placement to where the speakers are in new cars. My tweeters will be at each corner in the dash. I too have went with the pop-up stereo in my trans tunnel cover. I'm using a headlight motor and control module from a firebird. I have polk 6x9's for the rear speakers powered by a 180 Watt amp.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Matt, here's the pic I wanted you to look at, the other one is from the Grape Ape with speakers on the trans tunnel.

·
1,018 Posts
This is how I mounted mine.

Doug

[ April 25, 2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: d isham ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts