Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't get a replacement rim. So I have to buy 4 new rims. No one makes rims to clear the Wilwood 6-piston calipers, so looks like I have to buy new spindles and brakes. Oh joy. And since the rear brakes are Wilwoods, I will have to change those so they match the fronts. Oh joy again.

I'm looking at $2500+ just to get the silly thing on the road again

I truly don't know what to do. Sell the car maybe?

[ January 11, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Larry N. Johnson ]

·
3,760 Posts
2FAST, this is completely unreal. BE SURE YOU'VE MOVED YOUR CALENDAR FORWARD, THIS STUFF ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPENING TO YOU IN 2004.

So why does Centerline have your car on their website showing wheels that they don't sell anymore? :rolleyes:

Also, I would start tracking eBay to find one used. And ask Centerline to give you a list of dealers that might have one or more of your wheels remaining in stock.

Good luck!!

AJ

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
Why would Centerline not sell you just one rim, thats ridiculous! :eek:

You could threaten them to take your car off their website... Imagine the impact this would have on their sales :D ! They might rethink their decision.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
I'll give you $500 for it. ;)

Mike (always looking for a deal)

·
Senior Charter Member
568 Posts
Now now now...you must have dealt with the wrong chap.
Let me get this straight...we have a $65k Cobra with a particulr rim and you give them advertising.
We hve 4000 cool guys here watching who will spend between $20K to $65 K USD...print this and get new rim. It seems fairly simple.
I some times takes a while to get the donkey's attention. Hang in there.
You could alway get 4 new wheels from another vendor and advertise for them...I am sure they will be REASONABLE.
P.S. Glad you were OK on the curb run. It will all work out.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
I have noticed one constant thing through every problem you encounter.... Your desire to sell it. So let me be the one to say it, SELL IT!

You don't want it, you want a GT-40. There is nothing wrong with that, sell your cobra and get it. If that will truely make you happy, is that a bad thing?

Cut your losses and get what you want. You only live once. Besides, I can't take it any more.

Don't take this as an attack, I want an Ultima, and know how it feels when I run into problems with my own cobra. It makes for a great excuse to sell it and get what I really want. I just don't have the funds right now.

just my .02

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
I'm struggling to resist asking how you killed your wheel ??

I swear I stopped prodding this little guy:

Surely someone can sort you out with wheels that will clear the Wilwoods ??? Even if it means a custom set from Image, for example :confused:

·
Junior Charter Member
73 Posts
I have the Wilwood 6 piston calipers on the front (with sn95 spindles) and I purchased 17" rims that clear with no problem. They are from Replica Alloys (the SVT model) and I bought them through Discount Tire Direct. They were fairly inexpensive if I remember correctly. I would be happy to dig up the details if you would like me to, just let me know!
Dan.

·
6,559 Posts
2FAST,

Send me a pic of the bad wheel. I'll take it to a local who is a magician with alloy wheels. I'd seen a Porsche wheel nearly folded in half that he was able to fix better than new.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman FFR-4618
2,192 Posts

·
Out-of-control teenager
835 Posts
Fix it and sell it. Doesn't seem to me that it is worth the headache (and what a headache) for you. Buy a gt40, or an ultima, or a noble (if you can find one) or a used porsche turbo or something else really cool for the money. IMO of course.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman FFR-4618
2,192 Posts
The wheels america shop in Stanton is approx 70 miles from you

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
2FAST,

Try the guys below. I have used them to fix bent wheels in the past. I have actually seen them repair wheels that are missing pieces!!! and they make them look brand new again. I am sure there are other companies like them out there also.

A quote straight from their website...
"One disadvantage of aluminum mag wheels is the high cost of replacement if they are damaged. The most frequent damage found would be bent or cracked lips, or a piece broken off the edge of the wheel due to kerb or pothole damage. This damage is easily repairable, bringing the wheels to "good as new" at a fraction of the cost of replacement"

Aaron's Mag Wheels

[ January 09, 2004, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Kobra4Kris ]

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
You sure do get worked up 2Fast! From you earlier description of the damage, repairing the rims wouldn't even be a challenge for any of a dozen companies.

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
Fix it and sell it. Build something else, but don't go so crazy with all these top-of-the-line, mega-horsepower, blah-blah-blah stuff. How many people did stock, or even a bit above stock builds and haven't had one complaint? Plenty. Ralph Button did a stock build, then added a base model Powerdyne supercharger and has driven it probably close to 100K now, I don't remember reading many complaints from him. You will be a whole lot happier that way when you have a car that is 100% reliable and you can enjoy driving it, instead of dealing with problem after problem. Besides, unless it is a full-time track car, who needs all that power? You can't use it on the street. You live in California, you can actually drive your car 365 days a year, right? :cool:

About 15 years ago my friend had a '69 Chevelle SS with a 396. He had the engine built/rebuilt 3 times by professional engine builders in less than one year and probably not even 5,000 miles before he just gave up and unloaded it and bought a brand-new Mustang GT. He was always frustrated and worried about when the motor was going to blow again. Most of the time he wasn't even beating on the car when something would happen.

I probably should be taking my own advice since I am adding a Vortech now, but it is -1 outside right now and will be for the next week, so what else do I have to do? :mad:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.