Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for insulation for the engine compartment. I would like it self stick w/o markings and in at least 40" length. Thanks for any leads. Dan

[ December 27, 2006, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: HOTROD ]

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I have seen these used for the footbox area, especially by the headers, around to the trans tunnel. I have a pack for each side, and plan on using it.

Thermo-Tec

·
Registered
648 Posts
We have agreat forum vendor who has this and many other products. Second skin Audio...http://www.secondskinaudio.com

Good luck, I send you pictures of our install if you pm me. We are about 40% complee the insulation install. Great product, sticks like glue, go to 500F. Should work just fine!

·
Charter Member
146 Posts
I used 2 packages of the same stuff (from Summit) and it does a great job of keeping the footboxes cool... the inside of the aluminum is only warm closest to the headers..

Clean the panels with acetone and start installing at the bottom ... overlapping as you go up. I wasn't able to use 1 solid piece without creating wrinkles.

If you applied the shielding before the engine was dropped in you could cover the entire area in one sheet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You guys like the second skin audio product? I dunno 500F isn't enough. The coolandquiet stuff is rated well over 1000F and I think the embossed aluminum give the engine compartment an awesome look. Plus the stuff is made by Lydall. we did some testing against the dynamat and a few other products and definatly went with the Zeroclearance. They sell the stuff at summit with a DEI name on it but you can get it factory direct from www.coolandquiet.com. Plus I talked with the sales guy and they are offering to put kits together for the cobras at a reasonable cost. They will also cut custom shapes for you.. Has anyone else tried the Zeroclearance?

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Did a little price-point shopping.

Summit is definitely cheaper than direct sourcing from DEI...

The DEI Reflect-A-Cool product is $4.16/sq ft from Summit or $5.64 direct from DEI.

DEI also makes a Heat Screen Radiant Matting ($5.45/sq ft from Summit or $8.27/sq ft from DEI ), which has to be applied with a separate adhesive or perhaps riveted on. Looks really cool. I like the embossed look of the matting.

The Cool&Quiet Zero Clearance product is $99 for a 42"x48" sheet ($7.07/sq ft direct from Cool&Quiet).

My engine isn't in yet, so I've got options. I'd be interested in other's experiences.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I'm getting ready for this stage also. While in the local Lowes store saw some duct insulation. Foil backed 3/16" foam or bytue type insulation sticky on one side. Not sure what different sizes it came in but looked at a roll 12" wide by 15' long for under 20 bucks. Should be ok for sound insulation if nothing else. Not sure of the temp rating.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
It might be OK, but I'd be leary. Given it's intended application, the adhesive probably isn't high-temp rated???

·
Registered
6 Posts
The embossed material is the cool and quiet zeroclearance which comes with adhesive on it. Just peel and stick. \

http://www.coolandquiet.com/products_detail.cfm?PID=4

The DEI tunnel shield is the same material that is bought from coolandquiet. You are comparing apples to oranges on price.

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=27 .

both of these products (which are the same) work very well. DEI also has a few others that are a bit cheaper but don't really hold up over time.. I can talk to the guy at cool and quiet if you guys are interested in kits or group buys on specific pieces. I would stay away from any home insulation from lowes. They dont offer the same properties as automotive insulation and your home insulation is not at all rated over 1000 F. There are a lot of good products out there. I work for a company that builds military vehicles and we have tested most of these products so if you guys have any questions let me know.. I am in the process of building a type 65 and will be putting a few different products into it.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
JBD4922FF,

Don't understand "You are comparing apples and oranges on price"?

Unless I goofed somewhere, they are advertised by Summit to be the same product by the same manufacturer, so the price comparison is directly applicable???

Sherrell

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry Sherrell. I thought you were comparing the zeroclearance to the reflect-a-cool.. Wow I read that again sorry about that.. I think I may have just been hungry and dreaming of apples and oranges.. OK My bad on that one. "note to self. Re-read post before clicking send" Who let me join this forum anyway.. hahaha.. Well if you guys need any help on heat and noise reduction I would be glad to help you out..

Sherrell, What are you leaning towards for your car? And once again I'm sorry for the earlier post...

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Can someone summarize the consensus here? Or is there a consensus?

·
First Time Builder
141 Posts
The consensus is that JBD likes fruit!!

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Hey Guys
Thanks for the plugs!
I thought I would chime in on this one since I heard my name was getting thrown around a bit.

Depending on what your goals are there are a few way to treat the firewall and foot boxes.

For noise there are 2 types
- structure borne (vibrations)
- airborne ( waves of acoustical energy)

For heat there are 2 types (in a car)
- Radiant (like the sun rays)
- Convectional (like a hair dryer)

The products that we sell are specific to each category but offer some benefits in both.
So Damplifier Pro for example is a constraint layer damper. A foil backed vibration mat with self adhesive peel and stick layer. This is ideal for noise and vibrations, just as Dynamat Extreme and a few other good ones. It is also a good thermal insulator, but to use it outside of its primary functions is asking a bit much. I will say however, that Damplifier Pro has the highest heat rating of any vibration damper in the market; over 500 degrees, but it is not a heat barrier. The foil will reflect radiant heat and insulate convectional heat, but not as well as something specifically designed to kill heat as its primary function. The DEI stuff is great for this.

There are several of our competitors that claim to have 1 product that does it all. If there were, we would sell it. There is not however. Not one that kicks butt in both areas (noise and heat) one area will always excel father than the other. This is why we sell about 8 different products.

Every car is different
Every driver has different goals
Some prefer liquids some prefer mats
Some need light weight products
Some need save money
Some want to spend a ton

We have a wide arrange of products for many types of customer, but we do not sell it all.
Like exhaust wraps and tape for example, we don't sell it. DEI is a great company for that stuff. All our products are passive, not active, meaning they get applied to the body of the car to keep the noise and heat out rather than getting applied to the source of the noise or heat in order to keep the problem contained.

We plan on adding some materials that are more inline with the DEI products, but for now use ours when you can, if you like to and use DEI when you can, if you like to.

Just be leery of anyone that says that their one product will beat the pants off of any other combination of products. It just won’t happen.

So to the original thread starter, the DEI product on the firewall will be great for containing the heat and maybe some airborne sound waves, and the Second Skin product Damplifier Pro will be great on the cabin side of the firewall for killing structure borne noise and insulating the cabin.

Hope that helps

Anyone that has any sound deadening questions is more than happy to call me up. I am always happy to help regardless of what product you decide to use.

ANT
www.secondskinaudio.com

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
JBD:

No worries mate. No offense taken...

I still haven't made up my mine, but I'm doing some tooling around on the web this evening and will probably order something this weekend. I need to get it done. I like the emobssed look products.

I have a friend who drives a spec-racer as his street car here in Tennessee. His footwells aren't insulated. He says it only gets really warm when he is stopped for 5-10 min. in traffic in the summer. Otherwise, the warm footwells feel really nice in the early spring and fall...

Just when you think you have it figured out...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts