Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to raise the rear up another half inch or so but the limiting straps are about stretched to their limit.

I read a post a while back where somebody knew of a place to get straps that were a little longer. Where do I get them and how long should they be? How much slack should they have?

Thanks, Andy

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
I used some tailgate straps you can get at the local auto parts store, I ended up going back to the stock FFR ones, because with a tall ride height and the tailgate straps, the driveshaft would bind when brakeing

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
I don't know where to get a longer limiting strap but I had the same problem as you. I drilled a new bolt hole higher up on the axle bracket to give me the travel I needed.

·
5,210 Posts
If the limiting straps are stretched to the limit and you are at correct ride height, then something is wrong. Check your rear assy make sure nothing is binding or scraping.

Mike

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the 3 link rear suspension and the ride height is set to 4.5" measured from the ground to the bottom of the 4" chassis tubes.

The limiting straps allow the suspension to droop 1.5". When the limit straps are removed, the droop is apparently limited by the drive shaft u-joints since you can not spin the wheels. In this condition, the left wheel droops 2" while the right wheel droops about 2 3/4". (The stock four link should droop the same amount on both sides).
I had to jack the rear end up about 1/4" before the u-joints allowed the wheels to turn.

So it looks like I might be able to go with a 1/4" longer limiting strap and just avoid u-joint binding. You should try it out on your car.

1.5" of droop doesn't sound like much to me. If your car rolls 1.5 degrees you will just about use up your droop. I would guess that hitting your limiting strap during cornering would be similar to hitting your bump stop... your apparent spring rate suddenely jumps up creating oversteer and possibly a spin.

Another option is to drop your ride heigh 1/2" like the Spec Racer does. Then you would have 2" of droop available.

-Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts