Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
If you want it new or refurbished I think Breeze Automotive is your only option. If you want it used then you can search for a local wrecking yard that has one or you can find a yard that lets you pull your own parts and get everything really cheap. If you get it yourself it is a significant amount of work and then you have to clean and service your parts. This is what I did and I paid $150 for the entire T-bird SC rear end assembly and then another $100 for brake rebuild kit and new flexible brake lines.

·
Registered
692 Posts
You're in Yucaipa. That's not too far from several of the Pick-A-Parts and Ecology Auto Wrecking yards in SoCal. There are plenty of donors in these yards. You could go out most any day and find all the IRS donor parts you need in one yard for under $200. If you wait for one of the many 1/2 Price sales they have throughout the year, you can get what you need for just over $100. If you want to save some time and don't want to get dirty, I have some of the parts you need.

·
Junior Charter Member
289 Posts
Don't overlook DiscBrakesRUs, a forum vendor, in locating an IRS for your build.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Seregio is VERY knowledgable with this stuff. Check out his site.

Also Stu Spencer, who posts here and works on IRS stuff told me this:

"The 1990 used a .945” thick rotor. 1992 and up use a thinner .715” rotor. The thinner rotor will be a bit less sprung weight and you have a better selection of performance pads with the newer cars. Any of the rears would be fine as long as they are limited slip 8.8 and have the larger axles (SC for sure and V8 most of the time). Check the ratio too. Some came with 3.08 not the 3.27. The tag on the diff will have the ratio and an “L” on it for locker. I think the automatics get beat up less than the sticks and I look for the least miles/ less rust parts."

This is if you are going to get one at a junkyard.

I am sure the forum vendors here will give you exactly what you want/need if you are looking for new/refurbished.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
I got mine complete from Forte's here on the forum. You can pick steel or alum housing, The exaxt gear set up you want, the brand and type of lockers you want, drive shaft that matches the tranny, axles, brakes rotors, e-brake cables, adjustable control arms if you want. Everything would be set up exactly like you want ready to bolt in.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I'm sure Mike does a super job, but Disk Brakes 'R Us supplied top quality parts and every single bolt, nut and washer needed and even changed out my half shafts to pin drive length for me. Seamless.

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Richard Oben can help you on the IRS set ups as well.
Have a good one!
Ben :D
:D

·
1,589 Posts
What brakes are you planning on using? You can do all sorts of combos of brake rotors and hubs but I like to keep it to two simple options:

1. If you are using Tbird rear brakes (great with Fox or SN95 front brakes) then use Tbird hubs and have them drilled to 5 on 4.5". This is per the manual. If you are doing this, get used knuckles from a yard or the classified section.

2. If you want to go with Cobra brakes front and rear, then use 99' Cobra hubs (5 on 4.5"), Cobra rotors and get a Cobra brake caliper adapter from North Cobras or Levy racing. This is a no machining option since everything is already at 5 on 4.5".

Breeze, Fortes, and Disk Brakes-R-Us all have new knuckles, brakes, hubs and axles. Many people get used knuckles (replace the bearings) but get all new brake and axle parts.

I bought a complete rear for $150 and rebuilt it all. Cheaper but more time.

-Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts