Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 05 GT Bullitt wheels I got free from my brother. They are 17 x 8. But if I am checking them correctly the backspacing is 6 5/16 inches. I haven't bought tires yet but it looks like they will work on the front. The rearend isn't in yet so I'm just eyeballing it and it looks like the coilover will clear the wheel but I'm not sure about with a tire on it. It's a Fox rearend with drum brakes.
Does anyone have something similar? That fits?
Or am I sc#*@ed?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
427 Posts
I put 17x9 wheels with a 24mm offset (just under a 6" backspacing) on my MkII. They fit fine with the brake calipers, frame, quad shocks, no front wheel turn interference, etc. With a 6-5/16 backspacing you'll need to check for clearance on the inboard side. I'm not familiar with the newer wheels, but your 8" width and 6-5/16 backspacing works out to a 46mm offset. That is a lot. Are you sure of your 6-5/16 measurement?

Ken

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't sure of my measurement until you figured the 46mm from 6-5/16. Looks like I was a mm off.
On the back of one of the spokes the size is cast into it. 17x8.0 JX 45mm.
I didn't know what the 45mm referred to. Apparently that's the offset.
Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer before I buy tires.
Thanks Ken.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
I don't think you'll be happy with 8" wide wheels in back. They might look a litle narrow because they'll be tucked way inside. Coventional wisdom with the FOX rear is a 9" wheel with a 6" backspace. Your wheel is 8", so you can get by with a 5" backspace. You could use a 1" spacer, but good ones that bolt on are almost $100/pair. Plus, the widest rear tire you can use would be a 245 (275's require 9" rims), which will leave lots of room in the wheelwells.

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was afraid of this. So much for free wheels.
Ow! My wallet! It's bleeding again! :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,703 Posts
Should be easy to match those wheels w/ a wider pair for the rear right? So at least you are halfway there.Maybe you can sell the other pair to someone here. Especially if you find matching rears and can provide the info.Good luck

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman FFR-4618
2,192 Posts
Keep the 8s for the front and just buy a pair of 9s for the rear.
What Craig said, I did not even read his utill I posted mine.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
...or sell the OEM take offs and use the money to buy a set of 17x9 Bullits from FFR.

-SB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts