Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has created an opening in the elephant ears to allow cool air into the intake?

I understand the side vent may be a better place, but I've mounted my filter in such a way that impedes the installation of the elephant ear and was just thinking of cutting it to create room and cool air supply.

Too much dirt and grime? I could do it in such a way as to create a sheild for the air filter. Anyone know if the wheelwell is a high or low pressure zone?

Thanks.

Garnet

·
Junior Charter Member
569 Posts
Garnet

I think the side vent vents hot air out from the engine compartment. Not likely the best place. I have been thinking about a cool air intake system using the oil cooler opening and ducting to the passenger side fender space. It may require to fabricate an air box which the filter would sit inside. That way you avoid the dirt/spray and get some "ram air" effect.

Let us know what you come up with. I know there are others who have had similar idea's....Not sure but Wade Chamberlin may have fabricated something.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The side vent is a better position IMHO. If you have the air inlet behind the tire in the elephant ear and hit a puddle, the water sucked into the engine will not compress like air does and will cause you big problems.

I remember hearing about some year and model Cadillac that had the air intake mounted low in front and a trip through a big puddle would destroy the engine.

I'm using one of the cold air kits (not sure what brand, I bought it used) and I shortened the tubes so the air cleaner sits right at the side vent behind the elephant ear. The only downside I see is at low throttle positions the hiss of the air intake is a little annoying.

Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts