Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I found out over the weekend that the previous owner of my MK1 shortened the rear end to about 54.25" (rotor hat to rotor hat) which was news to me. Apparently my wheel selection in pretty slim due to this.

I tried to fit 17" bullitt wheels on it which had about 7 inches of backspace, those were a BIG NO-GO. My original whees are 15" Dove Engineering "Halibrand" looking wheels with about 4 inches of backspace (which at the time I put the bullitt wheels I didn't realize this or I would have never attempted to fit them)

So my question is - are there bullitt style wheels that will fit my rear end? If not, what are my other options? besides replacing the rear end with a standard width unit.

I have Wildwood 12.2" rotors on each wheel and 5 lugs

Thanks in Advance,

CBD

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rear End Measurement

This is how far in the bullitt wheels were before they hit the frame and several other spots and didn't sit properly against the rotor hat.

And the backspacing on my original wheels

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
Your diff has been narrowed. You need a wheel with a 4.5" -5" backspace to work or a set of 2" wheel spacers that run around $200 a set.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,689 Posts
You might just be in luck if you like the bullit look. I saw a guy at the FFR Open House with Torque Thrust D wheels. These required a narrowed rear but they are classic, old school bad ass wheels that look great on an FFR.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your diff has been narrowed. You need a wheel with a 4.5" -5" backspace to work or a set of 2" wheel spacers that run around $200 a set.

Gordon, if I put the 2" wheel spacers on I'll have to extend the studs, correct? The issue I'll run into there is my 15" wheels will no longer fit because they have have a cover that hides the lugs behind it and gets held on by the spinner, and those studs barely fit now :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might just be in luck if you like the bullit look. I saw a guy at the FFR Open House with Torque Thrust D wheels. These required a narrowed rear but they are classic, old school bad ass wheels that look great on an FFR.

Not sure how they will fit with your rotors.

Thanks for the tip, I looked for them online, I only found 14, 15, and 16" wheels. I'm really looking for 17" wheels so I can get into SCCA Autocrossing next year and have a wide selection of tires available.

Thanks again

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Maybe some deep dish Torq Thrust from American Racing.

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
Thanks. :clap:
Those are the spacers I had to use on my front setup on the coupe. The ones pictured in the link are 35mm, which is 1.3 inches. I am running the Cobra R front brakes and rotors with Halibrand 17 x 9.5 wheel. They moved the front tires even with the fender lip.

When I bought them from Summit 4 years ago, they were only $124.00, gone up a bit since then, but really a quality piece.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,961 Posts
I am running those exact spacers on my rear also. I installed the Daytona Bill flares and didn't want to narrow them down even though I only needed an extra 3/4 inch or so. But my 10.5 Bullits w/ 315s looked way to narrow so on went the spacers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.