Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Charter Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I tried to go through all the faq's and couldn't find a clear answer to my problem-Wheel size in stock mode -i.e. not bigger or non-donor brakes. I switched from 4 to 5 lug axles front and back with the stock Ford pieces( rotors front & axles rear- As I understand they're ranger axles) After reading the forums I thought Cobra wheels would fit so I ordered one test wheel from Summit ( Ford wheel m-1007-d178)- their "98 svt cobra wheel( 17x8 with 5.72 bs) thinking it would fit the front but also allow a visual test for any problems that might occur in the rear if I could go wider. Surprise! Back is fine.The rim hits the top of the adj.A arm in the front. More backspacing isn't going to do it/ I've adjusted the knurled A arms to try fit with no result. What am I doing wrong and/or what Cobra rim do I need in stock mode 5 lug. The Cobra R's seem to indicate more backsp( 5.98 and 9" wide) and I can't get a 7" rim from Ford. Help. Thanks ,in advance for any help. Jon

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Are you trying the wheel with the front suspension hanging down off jackstands? Have you had the front end aligned yet? Both of these factors will affect your wheel fit. You should be fine with 8" and a 5.72" backspace.

·
Charter Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd thought about the suspension "hanging" and ruled it out as too simple ma cause. No , I do have it hanging. It just seemed as if this position could also occur on the road with a large bump( goin'airborne). I started thinking last night that it might be the sn95 spindles that everyone is using and I'm not.Could they be a different length to move the rotor away from the top of the A arm? Anyway, I'm off to the garage to block up the wheel and see where it sits, Thanks, Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts