Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a site where I can find the lug nut spacing for different manufacturers wheels?
I just went and bought a replacement rim for my utility trailer at a used tire place and I just asked for a five lug 15" wheel. Got back and lug pattern wouldn't fit.
And does the center hole diameter usually matter? I remember from doing brake jobs on an old Honda that their rims were a slip fit over the hub; pretty tight. Don't remember any other cars being that tight on the center hole.
Thanks for any input.

[ May 27, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: lperry, #4227 ]

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Not trying to be a [email protected]$$, but you might get a better response if you changed the topic heading to "wheel - bolt pattern" or something like that. Better yet tell us what you're looking to put new rims on and I bet somebody'll respond with the proper bolt pattern in short order. For example: the bolt pattern on a 4 lug Mustang donor is 4 x 4.25 inches.

·
Registered
773 Posts
When the wheel fits tightly over the hub, it's called "Hubcentric". That's good! When it doesn't fit snugly, and is held only by the wheel nuts, it's non-hubcentric - like my "Halibrand" copies; OK, but not as good.

·
Senior Charter Member
768 Posts
try this. Wheel bolt circle template
They also make a plastic gauge that fits over the lugs or can be laid over the wheel. I would think most parts stores would have them. Summit Racing has them Plastic gauge

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gil;

Took your suggestion and made change to title.
The problem is that I've got a utility trailer with automobile hubs and wheels on it and I don't know what the wheels are off of. I was trying to figure out if they are Ford, GM, Mopar, or what. I'm assuming they all are different.
From my measurements and the template Jerry pointed me to, It's a 5 1/2". And it's a 5 lug.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The key is the bolt circle diameter. Trailers do use car bolt patterns.

Ford 5 lug: 4.5" bolt circle
Chev 5 lug: 4.75" bolt circle

These are the main ones used.

Most trailer wheels are 3" to 4" backspace measured at the tire surface, not the rim. They usually interchange all right, but some alloy rims and chrome rims are slighly wider and the extra width is usually deeper backspace, so...sometimes the tire will rub the fender. Not very often, but beware.

Hope this helps.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Larry.
I used the template that Jerry linked me to and it looks like it's a 4.75 Chevy.
The wheels on the trailer are standard car wheels. They aren't specifically trailer wheels.
Thanks for everyones input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts