Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen mention of the Explorer engines from time to time. What's the difference between that and the HO engine that came with my donor?
Thanks,
Sten

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
To start with they have heads, intakes and throttle bodies that flow better and offer better horsepower.

But the good news is that Explorer heads (GT-40P) and intakes are direct bolt ons to the donor engine.

You can do a little reading here:

http://www.stangpro.com/html/articles/gt40p_files/gt40p1.htm

·
Cobra Builder
1,728 Posts
An Explorer 302 '96-'01 was the last of the production Ford 302 and was basically a detuned '94-'95 Cobra motor. They are rarely beat on because they are used to get groceries but are very plentiful in junk yards (Soccer Moms = many wreaked SUV's). They can be had for $300-1000 depending on mileage.

Same firing order as HO, Superior GT40P heads, FI intake & TB better that stock GT

Change the cam & springs, and you have a nice 300 hp engine for a FFR (See below ;) ).

Yes FFR's 4 to 4 headers work!

HTH, Pat

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I guess they're starting to get old too, but when I was building, a neighbor offered me a 5k mile explorer engine for $1000. I looked at the 3 5.0's sitting in my garage at the time and thought.....I can't rebuild one for that much. Went to the E303 cam and over the years upgraded to mass air, explorer intake and TB (not included with my engine) and upgraded the Mass Air size. Having other 302's made the conversion very easy and essentially free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.