Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys who are using the FFR oil pan doing for your oil temp sensor? The only bung in the pan is the drain plug. I don't see any mention of the oil temp sensor in the manual. I imagine the computer uses the oil temp reading since there isn't a stock gauge for it.

Doing some searching on the forum, I am reading that some people are using an adapter between the oil filter - is this the typical solution and if so where can I get one? I really don't want to take the oil pan off, because the bolts above the kick-outs are just about impossible to get to, and 2 of them I think cross threaded a bit on their way in...

I'm a bit stumped as to why there is no mention of it in the FFR manual - am I missing something??

Thanks guys! :confused:

·
Junior Charter Member
17 Posts
I put mine into the drain plug. When i have to change my oil ,then i remove the wire that is on it.I made my own adapter because the are hard to get overhere.If you don,t have a oil pressure gauge ,then its eassier to the use the second hole at the oilfilter.

Leo

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
You can pull oil temp easily from a couple of places I know of, and other folks probably know more! I originally used a hole under the engine by the stock oil pressure sensor hole (near the P/S pump) and screwed my oil temp in there. Later I got a Champ pan and moved the sensor to the bung on the side of the pan. Here's what it looked likejust after I exploded my engine:

To keep from removing your pan and drilling/welding a bung, you can also use a sandwich fitting at the oil filter: bolt the sandwich fitting to the block in place of teh oil filter. The sandwich fitting will have one (or two) tapped fitting holes. Put your sensor in the hole. Then screw your filter to the outside of the sandwich fitting. Make sense? It looks like this:

If you need a sandwich fitting like this, I have Canton one with a single hole I'll sell reasonably. There may be some more pics of the way I installed my oil temp sensor near the stock oil pressure location at the addy by my signature if that'll help. Good luck!

·
Non-supporting member
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sounds like the sandwich is the way to go for me - I was going to use the remote oil filter kit and use the 2nd set of holes in it for the oil temp sensor, but the sensor is too deep and wont fit in properly.

Will my sensor fit into these sandwich pieces? Here are some pics to show how it doesn't quite fit into the filter relocation kit.

It is catching at that point right there and wont go in further. I'm hoping that it is because this is not designed for that, and your sandwich pieces are. Please let me know, thanks!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Well that's a huge-ass sensor! Please measure the length of the probe and the diameter of the threaded portion, and I'll see if it'll fit the sandwich adaptor I have here. All the sensors I've used in the past are much smaller diameter, but they're all from aftermarket gauge sources, come to think of it. If you stick with this sensor, you may have to drill and bung the pan. If you're using aftermarket gauges, you can use their smaller and tidier sensor. FWIW, I'm no expert, but commenting from my experience.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah this badboy means business ;-)
The probe is 1 7/8" long and the thread diameter appears to be 3/4" I don't have a gauge, but eyeballing it with a measuring tape - this seems correct.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Chris, the Canton sandwich adaptor has 1.5" depth, and is threaded 1/2" NPT. I measured the diameter of the threaded hole, and it is 11/16", so if that's the OD of your sensor threads you're OK. I'd put a 3/8" collar on the threaded portion of the sensor to keep it from bottoming out in the adaptor hole, then install it as usual. Wait a minute, that thing will really obstruct oil flow anywhere you put it in the oil path unless it's in the pan. So, my advice remains: if you're doing aftermarket gauges, I'd just use their temp sensor which will undoubtedly be smaller diameter and shorter. HTH

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not doing aftermarket gauges, I'm using the conversion kit from the roadster kit. I don't care to even have an oil temp sensor gauge. Doesn't the computer need the oil temperature though?

·
Junior Charter Member
2,473 Posts
That looks like an oil level sensor from a stock Mustang pan. My oil temperature sensor looks similar to the water temperature sensor. Temperature sensors have tapered pipe threads and those look like straight threads.
I used the extra port on my remote filter adapter for my oil temperature sensor and it works fine.
Steve

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that an oil temp sensor or an oil level sensor?
Well, I don't really know - I was assuming it was a temp sensor. It was the only sensor in a bung in the stock oil pan. So - do I even need this sensor?

·
Junior Charter Member
2,473 Posts
A lot of guys remove the level sensor and buy an adapter from Mike Forte and put the oil temperature sensor in the pan, which is the best place for it.
Steve

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for asking such a noob question, but if this isn't the oil temp sensor, then where is it? What is the stock oil temp sensor location?

·
Ohio C-car Club
3,686 Posts
The PCM (computer) needs neither one of these sensors to work (oil level or oil temperature). I've foregone the factory wiring and just finished running the connections for my Telorvek panel/EFI wiring and there was no connection for this item. I still have the stock pan on my engine for now, and this sensor is going to be left unplugged. I have the new FFR Vintage Electric gauges (from Speed Hut) and the only oil gauge I have is Pressure...

HTH.
Scott

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The PCM (computer) needs neither one of these sensors to work (oil level or oil temperature). Scott
Scott, I'm not disputing this statement, but I am wondering if the computer doesn't use them, and there are no gauges for them, what are they there for? I'm GUESSING there may be a low oil warning light in the dash?

Thanks again for all the help everybody :001_smile:

·
Ohio C-car Club
3,686 Posts
Do you have a EVTM for your engine/model year donor? It's simple to trace the wiring for this sensor. I'm pretty sure it does not go to or thru the computer, but that is for my DOHC Lincoln Mark VIII. I think you are correct it is for a warning light.

·
Junior Charter Member
823 Posts
I used my '96 Cobra as my donor.

That is the oil level sensor. I had this removed even on my Mustang Cobra and it is not needed by the ECM. It did make the low oil level light come on every time I parked in my sloped driveway, which is why I got rid of it.

When I removed the stock engine harness, and installed the Telorvek harness, there was no oil temp sensor wiring. I can find no mention of an oil temp sensor in the Haynes manual, or diagrams, either.

I think if you want an oil temp sensor you will need to get a gauge kit w/sensor, then wire and install it with the sandwich, or an existing bung, as pointed out above.

HTH

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Not trying to Hijack, but my fox pan has 2 drain plugs. Would it be possible to mount a temp sensor in the hole of the smaller sump?

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
I think that's oil level. I seem to remember I dieted it and the coolent level sensors out of mine. I put an oil temp sensor in a bung at the filter end of the relocator kit and a real oil pressure sensor (rather than the on/off style stock sensor) near the oil cooler that attaches to the block.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.