Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to understand the rather surprising range of prices I see folks paying here on the forum for roll bar chroming. I've seen numbers from $125 up to $300 or more. Looks like FFR actually beats some of the prices folks are paying for their chroming. I'm sure there's a quality issue somewhere...

I'm trying to decided whether to order the powder coated or chromed roll bars (two of them). I'm a bit concerned about scuffing them up during the build if I go with the chromed bars, but I don't want to have $1000 in roll bars either...

Analysis and advice?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My chromed roll bar from FFR was perfect. Add in Don's blind roll bar kit and it looks great.

All the best,
Tag

·
466 Posts
Tag has it right. Outstanding FFR chrome job plus Don's blind roll bar kit really glistens in the sun! Although very hard, my chrome did get a few scuffs going in, mainly from a tight fit against one edge of the third leg opening. Careful fitting before body work would have avoided this.

Mark

·
8,350 Posts
Some states have very strict environmental laws...restricts and fines, etc. for things like chroming and paint operations...you now have to have all kinds of expensive environmentally friendly by-product (fumes) recovery systems. So, if you get chromed in California, its Veery expensive; I just had my 4 Q-jacks and both door hinges chromed for more than $300! In Nevada (where many of the operations have moved), the cost would be much less. Next time out, its powdercoat all the way; Or, the billet Q-jacks from the post within the last hour.

·
Junior Charter Member
771 Posts
Although the costs have risen, I got both of my roll bars done by Kerr West Plating for $230 + shipping. That's considerably cheaper than FFR. The workmanship is excellent. Local (and east coast) prices ranged from $425 ro over $600 for the pair! I regret that I didn't send the door hinges and quickjacks there too.

Marc

·
3,760 Posts
I don't regret the money I spent on FFR chroming at all. I have dual roll bars and they look fabulous, street rod quality, which is what you would expect for the money.

I also have to say that the preparation was perfect on the FFR-chromed quickjacks too. The quickjacks received a very nice radius on the outside edge, they are just PERFECT. Wish the rest of my build looked this good!

AJ

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Sherrell;

My FFR supplied chromed roll bar was drop shipped to me from a place in Nashville. I don't have the shipping label any more but it seems like it was a place called Superior Plating.
You might want to verify that from some of the other forum members but since you're in Knoxville, you might want want to use them. Excellent work on mine.
Good Luck.

BTW, I had my sidepipes, QJs, and QJ bolt covers done locally. Excellent work but $800. Seemed kind of high.

·
1,123 Posts
Maybe I should go into the chroming business. I had all my chroming done locally in Utah, (2) roll bars, door hinges, hood hinge, pulleys, bolts etc. Under $300 dollars and the quality is great.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I did the FFR roll bars (2) and they are excellent too. I know I could have gotten them cheaper elsewhere, but I didn't want to bother with them, and I am thrilled with the way they look.

·
8,350 Posts
OK Dan, you're in business! Next build, you get my chroming jobs.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You can get a chrome like appearance out of your roll bars by having them cermakromed. It's a ceramic coating that looks like chrome, but doesn't have a perfect mirror finish. Most guys who chrome their sidepipes actually use ceramic. Anyhow, you can probably get two rollbars cermakromed for about $125.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Sherrell, the blind roll bar attachment kit that shodan and mark mentioned is available in a group buy that will be over today (Memorial Day) See pictures, instructions, etc. at www.tangentcobra.com

I have the FFR chromed bars and they are very well done. If you are going to have them done afterward you have the opportunity to grind the welds smooth. :)

Thanks for the good words, guys.

All the best, Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts