Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

All my bumper hardware is in but, of course, the rear gromets from finish line don't fit. Seems that the body holes are *much* smaller but finish line doesn't relay that to you when you order. To make matters worse, I have stainless sleeves from tri-state and they are also too big for the back. What's up with all the FFR savvy vendors doing this stuff?

Anyhow, my body is already painted but I'd like to hog out those holes on the rear somehow - what would be the best / least risky way? I did some searching but didn't come up with much. Thx!

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Ed, I'm no expert, but I'd try covering the area with masking tape and using a unibit or tapered hand reamer. The tape might keep the paint from getting ripped off and raggedy at the edges. What also might work well is a small rotary rasp or sanding drum and lots of patience.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Ed - the stainless sleeves are supposed to sandwich the body between two flat washers in the rear. The finish line rear grommets don't really work on an FFR because of the intended body mounting scheme. Some folks have carefully split the grommets in half with a razor blade and glued one half to the outside which gives the same appearance AND retains the stock body mount.

·
Premium Member
18,140 Posts
Ed, Wade is right. The sleeve is not supposed to fit inside the hole. If you hog out the hole to fit, then the back of the body will be flopping around. It's completly differant than the front mount.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Use a smal dremel sanding drum and tape over the hole. Use a little baby powder on the paint so that it doesnt stick very well becase once the hole is ground out, it will be very easy to peel the paint off the edge of the hole Use baby powder to lubricate the bushing as you slide it on.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aaron, the grinding is tempting but I'm afraid I'd go a little too far.

So, I still don't like it but I will keep the parts split and toss the gromets. Anybody want to buy them?? Thx guys...

[ April 11, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Ed Hubbard ]

·
Senior Charter Member
185 Posts
Ed,
I used a unibit to open the holes for the finish line grommets to fit (painted body)then i used stainless washers on the outside and inside of the grommet to give firm support for the sleeves. I shortened the sleeves by the with of the washers. I worked fine for supporting the body and looks pretty good.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, that unibit idea sounds doable without too much trouble. I still haven't bought one of these after all these year, might finally have an excuse! :D

·
6,546 Posts
Just be careful with the Unibit, they are very agressive. They do work really well. You'll wonder how you got along with out it after getting one.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,761 Posts
Ed,

I used the Finish Line grommet over the stock FFR attachments. I cut them in half, carved out the backside of the grommet to fit over the washer on the body, then used silicone to attach it to the washer.

Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.