Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a portable battery charger that I can charge at home and throw in the trunk...just in case I leave something on. For those of you who have one...please share your experience with yours and if you'd recommend it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hunter, if you're worried about killing the battery because you left something on, just carry a set of jumper cables. Remember, if you have a trickle charger with a "hot shot" option, you're still going to need a REALLY LONG extension cord! ;)

Now, if the scenario is that you've killed the battery, you get a jump with the jumper cables and now want to charge up the battery when you get home, all you need is a trickle charger with automatic cutoff! That way, when the battery is charged back up, the charger will shut off and not over charge the battery. On the other hand, if all you want to do is keep the battery charged while the car is not used for an extended period of time, you should not use a trickle charger - what you need is a float charger. The float charger dumps a very small amount of charge into the battery when the voltage drops below a certain point, then shuts off in standby until the next charge is needed. This is especially important on EFI cars because the computer needs a constant, small amount of juice to stay alive.

Trickle chargers are available at car parts places, Sears, and Wal-mart. Float chargers are available at most of the same places. Harbor Freight puts float chargers on sale every now and then. I bought my two from HF for 9.95 each.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
In my first couple of FFR's, I installed one of these.

All you need to do is mount the plug in section of the cord where it is accessable and carry the plug in the trunk. No matter where you go, as long as you can find a wall plug, you are good to go.

I found mine locally, but you can check the specs online HERE

Hope you find this helpful.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
Ditto the Battery Tender. Have them on my bike, atv's and boat.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I have a battery butler float charger. I keep it connected when I'm away from home for extended periods. It seems to work well, and requires very little house current to operate.
www.batterybutler.com

·
1,095 Posts
I just went to Sears during lunch. Battery charger - tender with float charge $30.00. Full 3 year replacement warranty. I got 2 because they will do 6 volts also, and I got 1 for the model A. It is very small, perfect for the trunk. Steve

·
15,282 Posts
What MrMustang said. I got my dad the Battery Tender float charger for a car he only uses every six or eight weeks. It used to kill batteries all the time. Since he's had the BT, it's been two years without so much as a hiccup when he wants to go fire it up and drive. Great product that the guys here on the forum turned me on to back then.

Cheers, John

·
Junior Charter Member
2,891 Posts
Do you mean a charger or a portable booster? I keep a portable booster in my truck for helping jump start folks or myself if need be. It also has a 12vdc outlet that I can plug in my cell phone cord or inverter. Also has a compressor and built in led light. I keep the jumper cables just in case this thing is not strong enough. Compressor is kind of cheesey , but I did blow up a 245/65/17 truck tire with it.

·
The branch of chemistry that deals with fermentati
156 Posts
For a good portable booster look at Solar or K&K Jumpstart models

·
8,356 Posts
Hunter, I always travel with Don's suggestion (AAA), but my first line of defence is a Vector 2/4/6 amp charger that I picked up at Pep Boys. Has saved my bacon several times; I charge it up in the garage ~ 1/month just to be sure.. At first it moved around in the trunk; use velcro! HTHs, Cheers

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
I'm using the CTEK charger/tender and it has a specific setting just for Optima batteries to charge them properly.

I use it on my '66 Mustang. Just unplug and go when I want to and the battery is topped off. It even comes with ring terminals and a "Tamiya" plug so you can have it hard wired and plug it in when needed. Otherwise you simply use the alligator clips on your battery terminals or quick charge studs.

CTEK Home Page

MXS 3600 Model I use

HTH...
Mark

·
Senior Charter Member
573 Posts
I got seven years of trouble free starts out of the stock/original battery in my '96 LT-4 'Vette using the Battery Tender. It now lives in the Cobra and I expect the same results. Money very well spent.
RB

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
NAGA is right.

AAA & Cell Phone.

I have a battery tender for use when parked a long time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts