Factory Five Racing Forum banner

What's the best 16" cooling fan CFM wise?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bill Hughes 
#1 ·
Anyone know what the best 16" cooling fan is out there?

I have a ZIRGO, forgot how many CFM it is, but think it was a little over 3,000 CFM tared.

I can upgrade that fan , or squeeze an additional 6" fan

I don't believe this CFM rating, but this 6" from Perma-Cool is rated at 1,800 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-19127/?rtype=10

I'm hitting 225 degrees water temp and 200 Oil Temp in stop and go traffic. Everything cools off to 170 or less on the freeway, so it's clearly a CFM issue.

(I'm surprised that the brushless motor technology hasn't made it's way from remote controlled cars to cooling fans. Those guys REALLY need all they can get from their motors.)

By the way, I moved to Pasadena, so if anybody is out that way, say HI, I will try to make the Cars and Coffee this Saturday in La Crescenta .

Santa Monica Pier Shelby show was cool on Saturday, got to meet Allen grant, a Daytona racer from the 60's!

See less See more
#3 ·
Bill, I built a shroud a few years ago, it's pulling 100% from the surface of the radiator, not just the 'footprint' of the fan. After about 35-40 Miles per Hour, the temp starts to drop, and after 60 MPH, it drops quickly to 165-ish.

It's getting caught at stop lights that send the temps up, close to a degree every 2 seconds... hasn't gotten over 226 before, but I feel that is pretty hot.

#4 ·
T stat

Hi,
You have something wrong with the thermostat if it will drop to 165*.
I would replace it with a high flow safegaurd 180* one. 165* is too cold for the oil,also the pistons won't expand to seal properly.
Perry.

#5 ·
Also 200 is a good oil temp. You need to burn the moisture out of the oil once in a while.

#6 ·
Is 225 degree water temp considered too hot?

#7 ·
220 is generally considered both optimal and close to max water temp in a street car. As others have said, 165 is too low. Things will not operate properly at that temp. Get a 180 or 190 thermostat in there ASAP. When the fans are correct, and the system is working properly, the water temp should fluctuate between about 180 and 220 with the fans coming on about 200 and then going off about 190. It should be able to sit there idling all day and go through that cycle over and over again.

#9 ·
I installed the second fan today.

here's a pic of the shroud. I will be putting in a higher temp thermostat as soon as it comes in.

Can anyone identify the 16" fan? It might be time to upgrade that as well. It was built in 9/07... I'm assuming there are better fans now.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Thanks, Turbo. I'm hoping that a new fan will catch up with Zirgo's claim of 3,600 CFM... which I highly doubt it a true number!

#14 ·
yes, it's the same radiator, but the repair is to a very small area.

#15 ·
If you let it idle with the hood closed, will it boil over? How hot does it get?

Is your instrument accurate?

I frequently see 220F standind still 0on a 110 degree day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.