Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm up to my elbows in the "middle" wire harness(the one that lives under the donor dash)trying to figure out what stays and what goes. I guess the simplest way to ask the question is; if we assume that all the lights, horn and other stuff that might be found on a mid '60's British car is pretty simple (which it is or was last time I played with one) and we assume that I don't want to touch the EEC harness that lives on the engine, what wires need to connect from the mid '60"s British car to the EEC harness to make things work. I've looked at some stuff on the Mustang site and it doesn't look like there is much, but things are seldom as simple as they appear at first glance.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wires from the transmission. Some guys leave it in, others don't. Some have problems with the engine stalling w/o it, other don't. If you don't already have it, I very strongly suggest that you get the Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) from Helm Inc. for your particular year harness. I've done two harnesses and still would not start another one if I lost my EVTMs.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
I thought of something else you can lose. The wires from the WOT A/C cut-out relay which connect to the EEC. That relay, however, is not in the dash harness, it's in the engine harness.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul,
Thanks for the speedy reply. I have the Helms material. I don't know how you could get anywhere w/o it or something like it. I was planning to run the VSS wires and lose the WOT stuff for the AC. What I am trying to figure out is whether it makes more sense to keep pulling stuff out of the main harness or to just build one from scratch. In order to answer that I am trying to understand what the interface points are between the regular lights /heater motor/brake lights/ignition switch side of the circuit and the EEC side if the circuit. I'm thinking that ignition switch "run" to the EEC power relay may actually be all that's required along with the VSS stuff which looks simple. That's way too simple so I keep thinking there should be more. Maybe, maybe not??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts