Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a good deal on a 351W. I currently have a stock 5.0. Besides changing the 4 into 4 upper pipes, what else can I keep? Car is a T-5 5-speed, with carb.

Also, if you have done this swap, what did you think?

Thanks!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,533 Posts
You will need a flywheel and balancer for 28oz, 351 distributor to match your ignition, 351 carb intake, headers for 351, and thats about it. Its a nice easy swap and gives much more torque right outta the box.

Mike

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Oil pan is different and lower intake. I am thinking of doing the same swap.

The 351 is alittle taller and heavier which can affect handling slightly, but its about the cheapest horsepower gain out there.

[ June 05, 2007, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Dorfus Bubblehump ]

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Only other thing I can think of is the intake

·
BLUBLUR
990 Posts
what about the T5, can it handle the added torque of the 351?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Canton 5.0 pan, and a Unilite distributor, all on the 5.0. Can they swap over?

Yes, I will need the manifold & flywheel, depending on if this motor has them. Trans is OK, as well as the clutch?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Originally posted by Chepsk8:
I have the Canton 5.0 pan, and a Unilite distributor, all on the 5.0. Can they swap over?

Yes, I will need the manifold & flywheel, depending on if this motor has them. Trans is OK, as well as the clutch?
The pan and distributor won't swap over. I think the 5.0 flywheel will work, but you will need a small diameter (157 tooth) flywheel to fit the T5 bellhousing. The T5 will fit the 351W but probably won't handle the torque unless it's been upgraded.I think you'll also need new front accessory brackets.

·
Charter Member
1,098 Posts
Consider a better cooling system before the swap.
Depending on how far you take this will determine what other things you may need to pay attention to. My swap to a stroked 351W needed more juice, so a new fuel pump, track use so oil cooler, ... Now that there is gracious plenty in the go category, I'm looking into more WOUGHHHHH. Those corners come up fast - need better brakes.

Robert

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
The T-5 will grenade soon, been there done that. Different flywheel 28 vs 50 oz and I think the flywheel is Ford Racing only. The Pan is not a match, the distributor is different, headers. Watch for intake/air cleaner clearance, I think the cooling will be fine as long as it is a decent system. We tell people as soon as you go away from the plan it adds about 10k in little and big stuff. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
woo hoo 10k yallz work too cheap. I have some issues with my vic jr intake and the oval Cobra air cleaner. The 14" Holley drop base fits good but it's not cool. Bob

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Taylor:
woo hoo 10k yallz work too cheap. I have some issues with my vic jr intake and the oval Cobra air cleaner. The 14" Holley drop base fits good but it's not cool. Bob
EDIT you can sell all your old stuff in the classifieds there is always someone looking to upgrade a 302/331/347

·
Zipper-suited sun god and
2,033 Posts
I use a T5 behind a mild 351 in my much heavier mustang, so far so good. Just don't abuse it too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.