Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Ranger axles fit a 90 Fox width rear, but what year Ranger? And do I also use Ranger drums? What about front rotors (5 lug) also for a 90 spindle do I use?

I see that our supporting vendors have complete 5 lug swap, but Im want to see if I can save money by going another route.

Will 17x9 in the front with 275/40/17 and 17x10.5 with 315/35/17 fit on a MK3 with doner lower front arms, and a 4 liknk rear?
Will I need to remove the quad shocks?

Thank you.

·
7,201 Posts
For the front rotors, use the rotors from a mid 80's Lincoln Continental, Lincoln Mark VII (85-91), or '84-'86 SVO. This will keep the cost down and allow you to keep the stock front brakes. You can buy the rotors for about $40-60 each. You an also purchase after market front rotors like the Power Slot brand in 5 lug. These cost about $99 each.

**Important note here! The SVO/Lincoln front rotors will NOT work with the Ford 98 & 99+ Cobra, Y2K Cobra R wheels, and 97+GT 17" wheels. Most of the wheels will mount up (98 cobra and the Bullitt wheels will not), but you will not be able to mount the center cap due to the larger dust cap on the rotor. To run these wheels, you need to convert over to the SN95 front brakes (this includes spindles, rotors, hubs and calipers). Please check this [link] for all the info and parts you need. Alternatively you can use a wheel spacer, but it is not recommended.

The Lincoln/SVO rotors will work for the 95 Cobra R wheel, 16" SN95 Pony wheel, and 99+ 15" & 16" wheel since they have a different center design and cap. If the center of the wheel is recessed, the Lincoln/SVO dust rotor will most likely be too large for the center cap of the wheel.

The 1995 Ford Cobra R wheel comes in two different offsets, 24 mm and 36 mm. The original Cobra R wheel, the R58, has a 24 mm backspacing which is good for all four corners of a SN-95 car. The R58 also fits well in front of a Fox body car that has the Cobra brake upgrade. But the rear of a Fox M2300-K car requires use a later model, the M179, which has 36 mm of backspacing, and therefore places the wheel 12 mm further inboard to clear the fender well.

To keep the stock rear wheel offset, the '83-'92 Ranger/Bronco II Left (driver) side axle (29-5/32") from a 4cyl or 3.0L V-6 with the 7.5" rear end, or '86-'97 Aerostar RIGHT side axles (29-5/32") is what you want. They are the same rear axles; the center section is just on the opposite side when you compare the rear ends. You will need the drums from either of these vehicles also if you are staying with rear 9" drums. The 7.5 axle Rangers & Aerostars use 9" drums. These parts are direct 5 lug replacements for the stock 9" rear drums on the 79-93 Mustangs.

**Important: Don't get the axles and drums from a Ranger with the 4.0L engine, as they use 10" rear drums with a wider 8.8" axle (unless you want to convert to larger drums!)

How I did it...

Ray

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,027 Posts
One word of caution, be sure to check the axles closely for wear in the bearing area. I pulled about five axles to get two good ones.
I have one from each.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys.
Rich, I will keep you in mind if I need them, I was hoping I didnt need to change spindles, hubs, and callipers also. Not that I dont know how, its the money thing. We all know how money get lost so quickly with these cars. Just so I know, how much are you asking?

The wheels are 10th Anniversary Cobra (Mustang) wheels. Fronts have a 6.18" (157mm) backspace and a +30mm (1.18") offset.

The rear wheels are 17x10.5 6.85" (174mm) backspace and a +28mm (1.10") offset.

Am I ok with these wheels using the above stated axles and rotors?

Im sure I will need FF5 front lower arms for clearance.

·
BigA4327
270 Posts
Just get the new stuff. I just bought some forged axles and they weren't but couple hundred bucks. I do have some four lug and five lug axles if you want. Both are 28 spline and the five lug are for use with ABS. They are about 3/4" longer than the pre ABS ones. I was using them on my challenge car. Come to think of it I have the rear brake caliper bracket that agent with the five lug axles. Send me a pm if interested.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You can use '83-'92 Ranger/Bronco II driver side axles or '86-'97 Aerostar passenger side axles.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
The one problem w/ the ranger axles is that the hub in the center that should center the wheel is too small. You can get adapter rings but I've had a couple and finally gave up and ordered good axles.
http://www.northracecars.com/axles.jpg
You can run the 9 inch fronts w/ donor lca's w/ a little work on the front edge of the uca. I would save the $ for the FFR lac's for now and use that for better stuff on the rear. Once you mount the wheels on the front just turn the steering and see where the lca interferes. Then, either get a big sledge hammer, or a grinder and fix the interference.
I can't remember when the 315 mod was incorporated into the FFR frame. Was it MkIII or Mk3.1? Figure that out to see if you will need to do the mod on your car.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
Brian, I was just in the attic over my garage and realized I have my old 5 lug axles. You can have them if you want them for shipping only or come pick them up this weekend. I am outside of DC about 20 minutes south of Annapolis.Email me if interested.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,278 Posts
Google Brothers Performance.They have a complete 5 lug upgrade kit for $400 with free freight. I priced out everything at Rock Auto and it came to more than this.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks Jeff.

I was pretty sure I'd seen them before on his site.

Getting old sucks but, not getting old really sucks!

Norm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.