Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
The electrical was my big stumbling block, but go slow, lay out a circuit or so at a time and you’ll be fine.

·
Charter Member
706 Posts
Electrical. No question. Remember, these cars will vibrate the snot out of everything. Fixing a lamp cord or switch in your house can not be compared to the way you secure the wiring in the car. In addition, almost everything is impossible to get at once the body is on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a unfinished kit so not completely comparable to a new build but I did do most of the wiring and call me sadistic, I really really liked that part. The biggest hurdle for me has been sourcing the right part / hardware for the task. My car is a base kit non-donor, so tons of parts sourcing required. The more custom things you try, the more research in parts and the mundane like hardware thread/grade etc... Without having a full shop or stock room or industry experience it can be frustrating finding the right part. It’s not an erector set. I suppose if you follow the complete kit by the book it may be plug and play, but since you’re in this forum reading everything everyone else has done that book becomes more of a theoretical guide... Have McMaster car and Del City on speed dial and should be good to go

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Toadster. I can't find the private messages with the new forum. I have a body buck if you want it in Roseville. going in dumpster this week if not.

Definitely wiring for me. I hit the easy button and used wire diet.

·
Curious George
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
At some point someone told me “good, fast, or cheap, pick 2”. Well, I’m cheap (so that means I’m doing nearly everything myself) but I want my Daytona to be good so I knew it wouldn’t be a fast build. And this has definitely been a learning process and, like all education, it’s been expensive and drawn-out... If I was to do it again, if I built a Daytona, I’d probably use a crate LS engine and have someone else do the bodywork. But, knowing what I know now, I should have built a Challenge Roadster. It would already be done, it would have FI, and I’d be buying another set of Hoosier A7s for the next autocross season rather than dreading getting back to filling & sanding. And, for what I have into my Daytona, I’d have a great cone-killer and could be a significantly better driver. Probably still have another $6k to go before The Mistress is done...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I’m assuming electrical will be my “Everest”... what was yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omg! Right now. I'm so close to putting the body on but the dash and ELECTRIC! Is not complete. I'm having a hard finishing that. The glove box door is still giving me a hard time. Seats need left undone. Fuel pump needs wires secure. Flex Fuel lines need redone. All needs to be done before body goes on.

Dash and electric work forsure has been the biggest issue.

Jason

·
Registered
392 Posts
toadster, i'm working on wiring right now. been putting it off for a while since it is a bit intimidating to me. i found a hard part second guessing every part of the build. I would do something and then read about how i should have done it on the forum. I tried moving quickly at first, but realized that i needed to read some other build forums to figure out what i could be doing wrong before i actually do it.
and i do agree w/ nigel about feeling guilty working on the car with a family. i find myself working nights after most of my fam is sleeping.

·
Not a waxer
11,554 Posts
Time. I'm comfortable with every aspect of the build; I built the chassis and engine, did the body...the whole works but the big hurdle was simply finding the free time to dedicate to it. I started the build while I was building a condominium project out of town which left me with 3 hours worth of commuting every day. Most evenings I didn't do anything, maybe got in 1-2 hours total Monday thru Friday but I was usually able to put in a full day and a half most weekends and make steady progress. Ended up taking 16 months.

Jeff

·
Curious George
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
toadster, i'm working on wiring right now. been putting it off for a while since it is a bit intimidating to me. i found a hard part second guessing every part of the build. I would do something and then read about how i should have done it on the forum. I tried moving quickly at first, but realized that i needed to read some other build forums to figure out what i could be doing wrong before i actually do it.
and i do agree w/ nigel about feeling guilty working on the car with a family. i find myself working nights after most of my fam is sleeping.
yeah I can see how the family stuff can be an issue - I'm hoping my kids will be visiting more often to help out - all my kids have recently moved out in the past few years... This may bring a few of them over to visit more often ;) wrench in hand of course!!

·
Official OLD GUY
3,723 Posts
Getting my wife to understand the concept of; there isn't anything on this car that costs less than $100, everything starts there and goes up according to what it does for the total package.

Doc

·
Official OLD GUY
3,723 Posts
My wife IS blonde . . .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts