Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where should I be using dielectric grease, or what is it used for?

Should I coat all the conectors for the EFI system, grounding studs, battery posts, weatherpaks, etc? Enlighten me please.

·
Senior Charter Member
633 Posts
In a word yes.

Any where you have metal to metal contact and are expecting current flow.

A little goes a long way.

Ed

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Cover your frame grounds too to prevent rusting of the frame. I sanded the frame ground areas down to bare metal, made the ground connection, then slathered on the grease.

·
3,596 Posts
Use it everywhere you have ANY kind of electrical connection.Most of the wiring in cars has pretty little potential behind it,so You'll need the best connection you can get. Just ask anyone who has a boat trailer!Good luck,
Sten

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave,

I did that with the plate I mounted my started solenoid on. I scraped the powder coating away to bare metal, coated with dielectric grease, then riveted down the plate, and finaly mounted the solenoid (also coated the ground plate in grease)to the plate/frame rail. As seen on the right side of the photo. The wiring harness on the engine will be replaced by a new one from Mass-Flo. I was wondering if I should apply some dielectric to all the fitting of the harness. Do I have to avoid smearing a layer of grease between two pins? will it cause a short?

Thanks
Kevin

·
3,596 Posts
Kevin,
The goo is there to protect and reduce the posibility of corrosion. It is NOT a conductor.Use it pretty much with reckless abandon.It couldn,t hurt!
Sten

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Note that dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. It's used to keep out moisture and prevent corrosion. Good to use on the connections mentioned above to keep them clean and dry. But don't put it on thinking it will improve a connection.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it...clear in hot. Although I may us a q-tip on certian small connection to avoid a total mess.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Use it on all electrical plugs as it was when build form the factory. Also on both ends of the plug wires being sure it gets on the ceramic part of plug. This keeps the boots from sticking and ripping when removed.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I seem to remember a thread where a member was having problems with his distributor working correctly because he had applied the grease inside the cap. I'm pretty sure this is one set of connections that does not benefit from being greased.

I think this is the thread I was thinking of.
http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/077556.html?

[ January 15, 2007, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Magnus ]

·
8,356 Posts
A must for the TFI module installation to keep it cool.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
Hey Dale, can you explain more about using dielectric grease on the TFI module.

Trevor

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Originally posted by Dale:
A must for the TFI module installation to keep it cool.
NO!!!

Thermally conductive paste/grease is a must for installing the TFI module. BIG difference from dielectric grease. Most new TFI modules come with a packet of this. If not, you can get it at Radio Shack or a computer store (for mounting heatsinks to CPUs)

Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Greg, good info. I was told when attending a ford training school more then a few years back that useing dielectric grease was needed to help act as a heat sink. Not useing it was a common cause of module failure.Not just ford but gm. Again this was quite a while ago and your recommendation may be the newwer better solution. Good tip.

·
8,356 Posts
Good catch! I was sure I read it was dielectric grease, but apparently not?

·
Charter Member
616 Posts
So are we saying that dielectric grease is not good for battery cable terminals that are crimped to battery cable wires? Because that is what I did. I put dielectric grease on the battery cable ends and crimped on the the battery cable terminals. Tell me if I did this wrong so I can redo my battery cable. If I did this wrong this is a great thread and maybe this will help others not to make the same mistake. Thanks!

Jack

1 - 20 of 22 Posts