Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we supposed to be using something like Permatex RTV sealant - gasket silicone sealer, or more like silicone caulk for homebuilding, baths, windows, etc. - something like GE Silicones Aluminum and Gutter silicone sealant.

·
Premium Member
17,839 Posts
Depends on what you're using it for. RTV window and door sealant works good for the alum interior and trunk panels. But Use Black Magic for engine parts.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I used the outdoor clear GE silicone for the aluminum panels.

·
3,886 Posts
GE silicone II for the aluminum panels--you can buy it at Home Depot. Get the big tubes that fit a caulking gun. I think I used 2 or 3 big tubes.

The GE "bathroom" silicone has a mold-growth inhibitor, while the "window/gutter" version does not. I don't think it matters which you choose unless maybe you live in such a damp climate that you have to worry about your car growing mold. :eek:

I used the aluminum color, it matches the bare aluminum panels pretty well.

Forrest

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,399 Posts
Use RTV! Room Temperature Vulcanizing. Why do hardware stores have rows of caulk? Cause it doesn't last.
Auto parts stores sell RTV for about $10 a tube. Grainger sells P/N 4UH09, white, 4UH10 black, also known as high performance industrial adhesive sealants, GE P/N RTV102 and RTV103. They are $5.29 a tube wholesale.
Something that you bury so deep into your car shouldn't be some window caulk.
Marc A

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I use Dap Tinainium silicone for the panels. It has a aluminum color and is suppose to be stronger than reg stuff if you believe the sales pitch. Use Hi-temp RTV for sealing engine and drivtrain components it's more chemical resistant.

Dan

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
I used GE Silicon II Aluminum Color and
am very happy with the look.. It should
last for ever I hope..

If you have a black frame grab a tube of Black GE Silicon II. There are a few spots where the
Black came in handy ..

The RTV might be better, but I didn't know
about this at the time I started installing
the Alum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts