Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super 7 Addict
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you guys are a pretty smart bunch I figured this was the best place to ask this question. But here is some background.

I am looking at getting a rifle for some precision shooting and the new Cx4 from beretta.

-At most I would have 2 hand guns stored in the safe
-I will probably not store ammo in there as my wife doesn't want to put ammo and guns in the same place
-I would be storing the Cx4 and the rifle in there but may be getting more. I do see myself getting a shotgun and at most 2 more rifles.
-I don't plan on using any of these weapons for home defense but more to go to the range and have fun.
-My wife is very paranoid about having weapons in the house but has agreed to it if we get a safe.
-I plan on enrolling both her and myself in weapon safety courses.
-We plan on having kids in about 2-3 years.
-I would like to spend about 500 bucks on the safe but I am not certain if this is enough.
-I don't really need any decorative stuff on the safe, it just needs to do its job of keeping the things locked up.
-Are fireproof safes a good idea?
-Safe would be stored in the basement.

I think that may have covered alot of the questions.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I own a few (lots) precision weapons including an AR-50. I get to shoot a few highpower matches a year when the car building doesn't stop me.

at about 800 bucks you can get a good fireproof safe that weighs about 400 lbs. If you are going to make sure it doesn't wander off on a dolley make sure you can bolt it to the ground.

The firesafes vary in their ability to resist fires. For example 1200F for 30 minutes is pretty good.

browning, remington, liberty are some good names to start with. If you are a collector like I am you'll probably grow into yours.

Cabelas up your way is a good place to check out and even Bass proshops should they be up your way.

·
7,676 Posts
I am very happy with the safe I bought from Cannon. It has enough room for 9 long guns and enough shelf space for other items.

Ray

·
3,798 Posts
Get the best one you can buy, your family is worth every penny!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Check out the big names first. They have anti-intrusion features that most of the cheaper ones don't. Face it, a determined thief will get into anything with enough time. If you make it hard enough they will give up.
The best advice is to anchor it to the floor and a back wall if possible. A safe not anchored to a wall can be tipped and break the floor anchors or pull the out of the safe floor.
Also, buy a Goldenrod dehumidifier for the interior of your safe and have a receptacle close by the safe location to keep it plugged into at all times. Moisture is a gun's most dangerous enemy.
All of the above brands are great as well as Fort Knox, Weatherby, and a slew of others. Make sure it is big enough to grow into- trust me on this!
- Bob

·
7,097 Posts
What to look for in a gun safe?

Guns? Do I win?? :D

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Holt:
What to look for in a gun safe?

Guns? Do I win?? :D
Damn - beat me to it!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I usually look for class 3 (fully auto)weapons first, then custom built handguns, then ordinary long guns, then whatever else can bring a buck and then....OH you meant features of a safe....ah
NEVERMIND!! :D

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Originally posted by KEN BUSH:
I usually look for class 3 (fully auto)weapons first, then custom built handguns, then ordinary long guns, then whatever else can bring a buck and then....OH you meant features of a safe....ah
NEVERMIND!! :D
Class 3 is type of dealer licence, not a catagory or guns. The guns themselves are classified as NFA weapons. A class 3 dealer is one type of dealer who can sell NFA weapons.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Having worked at a gun store and sold safes for 10 years, everyone here has posted just about everything you need to know. I am not up on the "current" crop of safes as I have been out of it for about five years. I own a Magnum Security safe and it is excellent. Heavy gauge steel, fireproof and a basic grey, durable finish.

http://www.libertysafe.com

·
Charter Member
2,132 Posts
Do not get one of the cheap ones that open with a barrel key such as sold at Kmart etc. As stated a good fire proof bolt to the floor safe. Put one of those big black powder stored inside stickers on the outside also. Makes the thief consider twice before using a torch to open it!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
AJ,
I have to second the advice BS gave you.
Anchor it in all four corners on the back,and,if it's in a corner,the two front corners,also.
Don't think anchoring the bottom is going to slow down a bad guy for long.It won't.
I used 6 3/8 x 3" lag bolts into lead anchors into my foundation,(4 back,and 2 on the side).You'll need heavy equipment to rip it out.
If your basement is even damp,forget it.You'll ruin the guns in a heartbeat.Put the safe in a closet in the house.
Don't be afraid to store ammo and guns in a good safe.Really,you can't believe the stupid things people will do when they find ammo that is not secured!
What you want to look for when you buy the safe is the number of locking bolts,the hinge construction,that it has a relocker if someone tries to drill it,and the fire rating.
A good safe isn't cheap,but,it's also the the least expensive insurance you can buy.
Just another opinion.
Joe
NRA life member.Certified instructor(four disciplines),RSO (range safety officer),and Rangemaster.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Geez Michael... I was just trying to be funny... thanks for clarifying though...

As for the safe, I'm happy with my Liberty Safe. Plenty of room, fireproof, and anchored as mentioned above. I like Jay's idea about the "powder" sticker.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Originally posted by KEN BUSH:
Geez Michael... I was just trying to be funny... thanks for clarifying though...

As for the safe, I'm happy with my Liberty Safe. Plenty of room, fireproof, and anchored as mentioned above. I like Jay's idea about the "powder" sticker.
No problem. I'm annoying sometimes, just ask my wife. :D

Mike

·
Super 7 Addict
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys,

What are some of the differences between the cannons and the libertys.

From the specs it looks like the libertys can last longer in a fire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts