Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MKIII
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to bleed my brakes today when both front bleed screws are seized in the calipers. I tried to undo them but even with a brake wrench they started to round over so i stopped. Sprayed wd-40 and waited awhile and still didn't budge. What do you think i should do get them out even if they strip and replace them or try some other chemical?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Heat the caliper around the bleeder screw with a hand held torch...

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
If they are donor units and you are having that much trouble with the bleeders, I would think really hard about replacing them. They are not expensive. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
I'm with Richard remanufactured front's are $20 each and they likely have them on the shelf today at your local autoparts store. If you're going to bleed them anyway why waste your time fighting with a stuck bleeder.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
If you do use a torch don't heat while the lines are on or closed up. Built up pressure can result and burn back and boil the fluid. I wouldn't waste the time and you could even consider loaded calipers with pads and new hardware included.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Take a steel shaft and butt 1 end to the end of the bleeder. Strike the other end with a ball ball peen hammer. This should jar the bleeder enough so you car turn it.

Vance

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Use a real penetrating oil. WD-40 is a water-displacing oil, not a penetrating oil. I've had good luck with both Castle Thrust oil and PB Blaster.

Also, rather than vice-grips that can crush the bleeder pretty easily get a pair of Channel-Lock pliers model 410 that have the parrot-beak style jaws. As you apply more force to trying to turn them they grip tighter. When I was working at a Honda dealership I never had to use a torch again to take off exhaust systems once I bought 3 pair of these pliers, 1 set of Snap-On-brand and 2 Channel-Lock. The Snap-Ons were heat-treated a bit too much and the teeth just crumbled. I'm still using the same 2 pair of Channel-Locks. They look like this:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sounds like they are perfect fo a core return...I replaced them, they were 15$ each, just have to add paint!!

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
WD-40 mis not a penetrating oil. It will not help you. Use a real penetrating oil like PB Blaster, and let it sit for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts