Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a list but I am sure to forget something. I am trying to do all the fitting I can to minimize the risk of screwing something up after the body is painted. I have fit all the lights, rollbar, doors, windsheild, dash, screws in hood opening and rear view mirror. I am now trying to decide what on my list can wait till later to do so that I can get it to the painter. Well, that is if I ever finish these seams :rolleyes: . Anyway, anybody got any suggestions on things to make sure I do before sending it to the painter? I am considering fitting the lower radiator support aluminum and the fenderwell pieces also. How about sending it to the alignment shop? Is it likely that those alignment guys will screw it up? I have never had an alignment done but do they take the measurements with the wheels on or off? If they are on then they will have to reach over into the engine bay to adjust the A-arms and that could pose a risk.

Thanks,
John

·
Senior Charter Member
629 Posts
John, We sent our body on a buck to the body shop 3 days after delivery. One thing to note to the shop is if they will fix scratches after assembly. The shop was cool with that. I missed the side pipe opening, side vent to small, and we scratched some places with the drill. We did pre cut everything out of the manual but some were a little off their mark. When we were done, they fixed everything in one day for free. I asked the body man if he prefered the body off the car or the kit complete. He liked it better sending the body separate and touching up and detailing it when complete. When we did this, we did use a ton of masking tape to protect the new painted surfaces when cutting and fitting. The factory fit of the body panels were close enough to adjust to a perfect fit. I did notice that I had to go back and remove lower shims on the driver side door body and suck itin because the door bottom didn't align. good luck, jack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts