Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 treated me well and I decided in 2013 I would like to start racing. I would like to do SPEC racing but my ego cannot fit in a Miata. But, my wallet can't swing $150k++ either.
I want a sexy looking car that I can feel good about, that wont break the bank to build, race and maintain.

Now, I am a TOTAL novice when it comes to classes. In a perfect world, I want everyone racing the same car, much like a Go-Cart. But, with the holidays being the time I've spent researching, I cant reach anyone for guidance!

My target: 15-35k for the car.
Under 2k a month to maintain racing.
Popular Class in Texas (Lots of Competition)
**I've got a mechanic I love who gives me great pricing

Predicaments:
818 - Seems perfect but no competition yet. Not enough cars.
GTM- Seems like there is a class for this but I think I will be spending over 60k if I am SUPER LUCKY and I think this will be very pricey to maintain/race. If I could maintain this and race it effectively, I would spend the extra money cause its so Darn Sexy.
Daytona - I prefer this as a happy medium but don't know what class it fits if any.
Challenge Car- I always wanted a Cobra but as a daily driver.

ALL ADVICE WELCOME! I'm still undecided as to SCCA vs. the others as well!

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
NASA SpecZ

Don't uderestimete the spec Miata...they can be a lot of fun....they are fast on the inside

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Long talk...some direction

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I spoke to Gordon Levy for close to 2 hours.

Looks like I am leaning towards getting a GTM:evil:, he suggested setting it up with an LS1 and racing in the ST2 division at NASA.

Yes, I will exceed the budget, but will stay within the racing/maintenance budget with the less powerful engine. And I can grow the car overtime and with increased budget!

Nothing is in stone yet, but I like this plan for now.

ADVICE & FEEDBACK STILL WELCOME

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
NASA, American Iron with a mustang. Levy could set you up with one of those.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Will you be running NASA or SCCA in Texas as that will make somewhat of a difference in the car that you select, as you may want a class that carries over in either SCCA or NASA.

Not sure where you live either as that will make a difference in the tracks in Texas.

1) E30 (NASA and SCCA) may be good
2) FFR can carry over to SCCA VP3 (vintage) but when I was in Texas there were only 3 FFRs racing
3) AI (NASA), American Sedan (SCCA) or CMC (NASA)
4) SM (NASA and SCCA)

How about open wheel ?

1) Formula Vee (yes still around, NASA and SCCA)
2) Formula Mazda (NASA and SCCA)
3) Sport Racer (many types, NASA and SCCA)
4) Club Ford or Formula Ford (SCCA and NASA)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Tony, I live in Downtown Dallas and will be spending about 30% of my time in Downtown Houston this year as well.
I am open to racing both SCCA and NASA if possible.
Im not interested in open-wheel for some reason.

Im still new to this so your response, while wonderful, doesnt make much sense to me.

Would you mind "dumbing it down" a tad for a newbie?

Are these classes I could race with a GTM w/LS1 motor?
Or are you suggesting a different car (a factory five car?)?

Thanks for the help! Very Green here!

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,676 Posts
It was great talking with you today. The plan we laid out certainly fits within what you said you wanted. The other option would be to get a newer Mustang and build you an American Iron car. The AI Car will fit into AI, ST3, ST2 with a tune up and be significantly less costly to do.
Feel free to call me and we can talk more about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting a hold on this, little by little

Gordon,
Aren't you tired of talking to me yet?
Thanks for the endless help!
How much do you think Im looking at to get into AI with a mustang?
Would the GTM not qualify as AI?

Tony,
Sorry for the novice reply. 3 minutes of research and I made sense of the abbreviations!

AI seems the most appealing after the GSM. Certainly more appealing to my wallet.

The next question is the car count in Texas!
ST2 vs. AI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
S55 amg

Gordon,
Were you saying that I can actually race my S55 in its stock condition in one of the Power/Weight classes?

I thought you were saying I could just drive it around the track but could not actually race against other cars.

Did I misunderstand that? There is a Class for that even?

·
14,676 Posts
No the GTM wouldn't qualify for AI. A properly built car would be about 55% of what we were talking about earlier and no I don't get tired of talking.

·
14,676 Posts
What I was saying is to run the benz in HPDE 1-? while we are building the race car. It isn't a race class. HPDE stands for high performance drivers ed. It's not real racing but it allows you to drive the car at speed under instructor supervision to get to understand and used to track practices. You will get to know the folks and how events are run. But the time the car is ready you will be ready for comp school and going through licensing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pre-NYE plan

Plan A: Use S55 for HPDE
Build GTM :w00t:, using LS1 to compete in NASA ST2
Check with SCCA to see if GTM can compete in a similar class
Plan B: Build Mustang, defer GTM plan to 2013

Really liking Plan A right now! Thanks for all the help!

·
USN SEABEES RETIRED.
1,800 Posts
Plan A: Use S55 for HPDE
Build GTM :w00t:, using LS1 to compete in NASA ST2
Check with SCCA to see if GTM can compete in a similar class
Plan B: Build Mustang, defer GTM plan to 2013

Really liking Plan A right now! Thanks for all the help!
Lol, umm, 2013 is tomorrow....... just sayin':001_tongue:

Best of luck on the build and racing.:evil:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
Many cars to race and many classes. Build a car that you LIKE. It seems as though that's a GTM. The money will make sense if you LIKE the car first. One of the very best handling cars I've seen at FFR was a black GTM with an LS1 in it. Very well balanced car, according to the various drivers at FFR (not me). Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
'Kinda partial to the Stalker myself.

Easy and cheap to build and a LOT of performance "bang for the buck".

You can do a normally aspirated V-6, EFI or Supercharged V-6, all the way to the best aluminum block Corvette has to offer. 1,500 pounds will move along (and handle) pretty smartly.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I need to verify but I thing the gtm is one of the cars being moved from STx to STRx (both ST2 and ST1). The goal is to move all tube frame cars out of ST into STR. this doesn't mean that it won't be any less fun, just something to keep in mind.

The 818R will also be in STR2 due to its wait. Same with the 2014 spec Challenge cars. I think the new STR classes will be quite fun with the Panoz and other cars moving there too. The Advantage of the Challenge cars is they also have SCCA and vintage classes to run in. The GTM has multiple classes as well.

I can deffinately Recomend Gordon and Levy Racing since they built my car and its been dead reliable and very competitive since the day I got it.

Outside of the FFR family of cars I can second the Mustangs in AI and AIX, the C5 Z06 in both ST1 and 2, spec e30 if you want large fields and relatively reasonable budgets.

Follow the advice of doing HPDE events for a year or two, and please take advantage of getting an instructor or coach in the car when ever possible. Most bring years of experience with them, plus they may see something that the driver may miss due to being busy driving and stuff ;). Many people let egos keep them from taking advantage of that, but even the pros use coaches. It also lets you find out your driving style and likes, and then you can find a car and class that matches that. Yes, there is a standard skill set to learn, but there are also nuances that make one car fit a person better than others, and the same with W2W classes. AI is a throw it in, let it slide and gas type of class, St3 is an aero and traction class, but the tend to run about the same speeds and times. It's what the driver like better.

Also plan you comp school when the time is right. Find one that fits your attitude and comfort, each region and organization has their own feel and approach, and each person can find one that's right for them, and being comfortable makes the experience that much better.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Are these classes I could race with a GTM w/LS1 motor?
Or are you suggesting a different car (a factory five car?)?
1) E30 BMW 325, fun spec class but can cost as much as 25-30K for a good car and repairs are high
2) FFR Challenge car can carry over to SCCA VP3 (vintage) but when I was in Texas there were only 3 FFRs racing, 20K + low cost repairs, so not much competition in class in Texas
3) AI (NASA), American Sedan (SCCA) or CMC (NASA), Mustang, Mustang FX body, Camaro, almost any American Iron (10-20K) lots of cars in Texas
4) Spec Miata (NASA and SCCA) 6-12K and low repair costs

So you will have the following tracks, out of them all I like Texas World Speedway. I have not had a chance to do Circuit of the Americas.

Eagles Canyon Raceway Slidell, TX
Harris Hill Road, San Marcos, TX
Motorsport Ranch Cresson, TX
MSR Houston, Mercedes-Benz Sugar Land Road Course Angleton, TX
Texas Motor Speedway Justin, TX
Texas World Speedway College Station, TX
Circuit Of the Americas (maybe if they OK it to run)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the Great Advice guys!

Thanks for all the pointers and direction guys! I really appreciate it. Now my problem is that I'm over zealous to start already!

Tony, Marty, Jim & bbk347 - THANK YOU for your feedback.
And thank you AGAIN to the rest of you.

My name is Clayton Maverick Vette btw

Still havent figured out the Signature on here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
From Porsche Turbo to Race car

I have been slowing modifying my 2003 Porsche 996TT to be a track beast for the last three years, but it is an expensive process and I don't really think it will ever be the track monster I want it to be.

Thus far I have about 35 track days, all DE, but am now wanting to race.

That puts me in the position of selling it and staying with Porsche and moving to a GT3 or Cup Car or taking a big breadth and going in a completely different direction.

How do these FF cars work as a based platform from which to eventually build a capable, yet still affordable race car. Will I miss the 563 AWHP of the Turbo in the end?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts