Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Still Researching (i.e. dreaming constantly)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the dreaming phase, and was wondering what some of the top surprises were for you seasoned veterans. For example, what part of owning a FFR is miles beyord your expectations, and what do you wish you knew before taking this thing on?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

·
Senior Charter Member
633 Posts
The reaction from the public in general is amazing when I drive my car around town. If you behave yourself, the local law enforcement will show their appreciation as well for the car.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
You budget; multiply by 1.5 or more. Seriously.

I wasn't prepared for the attention the car brings. Pretty fun at times, other times, you just want to drive without people gawking. Like others have said, you can't pick your nose driving one of these cars.

If you plan your own bodywork and have never done any fiberglass work, it's a ton of work.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I've seen what you were able to do bodywork-wise, gbranham, and I'm hoping that I can get lots of help from my father-in-law who works at a bodyshop...I just need to convince him that this is a good idea!

·
Junior Charter Member
3,886 Posts
Introduce your father-in-law to this website! Nothing will convince him any better than the great people and their experience and willingness to share information and help those of us with this common interest. I have been "lurking" for over a year, no convincing was neaded. I am nearly ready to pull the trigger... The forum is a huge part of the decision to go with FFR. Cheers,

·
1,095 Posts
I agree the response from everyone when you drive. I've driven street rods as my daily drivers for 20 years and never received the response the Cobra does. I worked in a body shop for several years and did my own body work. It wasn't any different than the high end work we did on metal bodied cars to get that show finish. Steve

·
934 Posts
You father-in-law won't know what he's in for until it's too late. Hope you have a good relationship w/him before you start. ;) Personally I wouldn't touch the body work at all so my comment may be pessimistic. Just my.02

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
From a build standpoint, I was well prepped by this forum on what to expect and that sometimes, you need the BFH to custom fit some of the aluminum. Yet even with all the advice, nothing will replace actually going through the process. Drilling all the rivet holes into the frame was probably the most tedious of entire build. What surprised me was how MANY I needed. I went to Home Depot a few times to buy more rivets. At this point, I actually have a surplus now but I'm not done with the nose aluminum yet...

Like many here, what takes some getting used to is all the attention this car will get. Face it, how many of these will you see in your daily commute? I planned a "once-a-month" drive to work; last month I went about 3 times. Everytime, it was thuumbs up, people speeding up or slowing down for a peak, some jerks tailgaiting me because they're awe-struck I guess, and I finally got one girl (high school?) who took a camera-phone picture of me at the the light. Yet oddly at the gas stations, most people don't know what this is. Of probably 5-6 people that talked to me while I was filling up, one asked if it was a Vette, another a Ford GT(500). One actually knew what it was, the rest just liked it.

The times at work, I brought it because I was going to lunch with some friend and my newphew and we headed out to the local eatery. At In-N-Out, it got some attention of the black-and-white variety but he just pulled behind me for a block and went right back into the strip mall. At the other restaurant, everyone within earshot was commenting on the car. Little does anyone know it's hand built. Those that I do tell are just floored. That's probably when I'm most proud of my accomplishment.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good stuff - I'm even proud of the entertainment unit I built in the living room, and Home Depot cut most of the wood for me!! I know that the good people on this forum are gonna cut down on headaches and make the people at Visa happy! Thanks again everyone for your contributions.

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
How much you're gonna miss it this time of year!

Scott

·
Banned
608 Posts
Good for you. Jump in,the water is great. This forum is the best and will get you out of trouble before you know you're in trouble. ;) The bodywork is really not that bad. Just takes a little bit of "learning curve". It's much easier than doing a 40 year old steel body. Most of the negatives you will hear concerning the body are from people that have never and will never do their own bodywork. :D You'll do just fine. Mac

·
Junior Charter Member
42 Posts
ATTENTION!! I drive mine to the High School where I work. For some reason, the kids love me. I went from Missouri to Pennsylvania last summer - average fuel stop was 20-30 minutes, couldn't get the truckers or travellers away from it. Got mine through Richard Oben, no build surprises at all.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Expect to sped alot more than your initial budget if you visit this website regularly! It's not a bad thing, just be prepared.
Doug

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Without a doupt the amount of attention you get when driving the car is a bit surpriseing. Really was kind of unexpected. Not everyone will know what kind of car it is but those who do will be full of guestions or storys. Like Mac said,for a seasoned body guy the body work needed on these cars is actually very straight forward and probally prefered over a metal repair type job. All new material,no rust,no welding on bolting on a repair panel, just basic filling,blocking work with the exception of grinding seams if needed. However for many it is thre very first venture into any kind of body work so like building a car there is a steep learning curve,espeacally those who have never seen or been taught how to contour the body lines much less take on painting a car. It does seem that more and more are doing thier own paint and body work and have yet to see one that turned out less then fantastic when they are done. Don't be afraid of it just be realistic on how much time it takes to make perfect if never having done body work before. Not many surprises about the actual build as long as you have this site to reference. Most hurdles have been discussed on here and useing the "search" function will find an answer to almost any problem you are likely to come up against.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! The actual build went smooth and the bodywork was delayed for various reasons. A big item to check out is the registration process in your state. Work with folks on the forums from your state on this process and get all your forms, inspections, etc lined up before you go the the Motor Vehicle Department. We all can and love to help!
Best regards,
Chuck

·
Senior Charter Member
701 Posts
You become a celebrity whenever in the car.

You won't find enough time to drive it!

It's not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination. And I expected the worse.

It's loud, very loud...so don't plan any trip longer than 30 minutes one way. It's a race car...not a lexus. It wasn't designed to commute in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts