Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
351W carbed, I was just going to get a 70's Ford solenoid. Any suggestions/experiences? I'll take part numbers if you got them. Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
DFRESH, I have one that looks like MR. Barry's. It's for an 85 Mustang GT. I figured since my car has the electrical and ignition from an 85 GT might as well get the same starter solenoid. I use a PMR mini starter on a 9.8:1 compression 306 works great.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
I asked for a 69 mustang solenoid. The original one on my mustang still works, good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I've heard that the solenoids used on Fords with FI have an internal diode that's supposed to prevent starter run on or something. They usually have only one small terminal instead of the two like those pictured above.

·
Senior Charter Member
282 Posts
Usually, diodes are used to protect voltage sensitive electronics from a DC transient spike produced during a magnetic field collapse. Could someone rewrite this so I can understand what I wrote? Seriously, the diodes are used to protect the computer, so what you said makes sense.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
The original question was for a carb car, not EFI...Besides, you can add an external diode (as I did)for and EFI on the pictured solenoid.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If theres one on you starter, you don't really need one on the firewall. Most guys install one so there is a place to connect all the + cables.
There are other ways to do this. Visit the painless web site.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
OK, so if you dont want to use a second relay (I am still not sure why you would need a second starter relay if there is one on the starter already, the only thing I can think of is that you might want to bypass the starter mounted relay and use a remote relay to get it away from the heat of the exhaust?) What do you need to do to use just one relay?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts