Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on mounting a battery cut off switch between the battery and starter solenoid. What size (Amps)switch do I need? Does it correspond with the alternator size? If I run a 130 Amp alternator do I need a bigger switch than if I run a 95 Amp alternator? I am planning on a 130 Amp alternator, if for no other reason than that is what I have out in the garage now.

·
2,860 Posts
Most any battery cut off switch for an auto will be more than 130 AMPS. IMO it should be located as near to the battery as possible in the '+' line; any possible cutting of cable downline from switch will then be protected, also. Others will chime in...this may not shut you car off, if running, however.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Don't forget to buy an extra "key" just in case.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
A good source for extra keys cheap: Harbor Freight sells a cut-off switch. I wouldn't trust their switch but I bought one for the keys that came with it.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave,

I have a HF battery shut of switch, but there is no way I will use it. The terminal move when you rotate the key. I figure it would last a month or so, and once I get the beast finished, I'll want to drive, not repair.

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
I saw a battery cut-off at wal-mart, it had 2-keys. I believe it was under $10 bucks.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
I have the finishline installed in the rear firewall.

I do not like the exposed terminals and am rethinking the battery in the rear. Mine
is recessesd in an ffrmetal box.

The reason is that in a rear end collision
it would be too easy to have gas and sparks
should the terminal short.. The setup
could be safer.

I may move the battery to the front and
find a better sealed cut off. A few vendors
have good front battery kits(Renolds and Forte)

HAs anyone found a good way to seal the
back of the cut off to prevent an accidental
short?

·
2,860 Posts

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Buy Richards it's by far the coolest and it's a quality switch to boot. Bob

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Originally posted by Another Kevin:
... Does it correspond with the alternator size? If I run a 130 Amp alternator do I need a bigger switch than if I run a 95 Amp alternator? ....
If you don't mind, let me give a quick lesson on amperage. Your alternator will only put out as much as your system "draws."
A 130 amp alternator has the capacity to put out 130a should your system require it. Otherwise, it's only supplying what's requested.
If you have a system that's only going to draw 40 or 50 amps, that's all that will be provided.

That said, there's nothing really wrong with having a 130 amp alternator, especially if it's essentially "free." :D

HTH,

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts