Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 400 miles on the Slobra.

The Oil Temp runs a little higher than the Water temp. Using Autometer guages with oil sensor in the Left Side of the Oil Pan (Stock location for a 94 5.0L

Water @ 195-100C and oil @ 195-110C

Do I need an Oil Cooler?

If so What are you using and where did you put it and where did you get it?

Just worrying

Dan :confused:

·
Senior Charter Member
1,387 Posts
Dan

You want the oil to run where you're running. Above 100C to drive off any water/moisture that forms in the crankcase. You're fine.

I can't help on the type of cooler as I'm not running one...

Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
352 Posts
your fine, don't worry

·
BLUE.II
2,058 Posts
Dan:

Thanks for the post......I had the same question, my temp runs around 110 as well and I was worried.

Not any more

Thanks

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. Don't want my baby to fry!.
I will relax.

THANKS!!
Dan

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The 195C number worries me a little, but its probably nothing. ;)

·
Junior Charter Member
352 Posts
When we ran an oil cooler in the radiator the temp in the pan was around 240-250F. I have had 275F with out cooler. Ideally you would want the oil around 220F. I'm refering to a dirt late model under severe racing condition and the temp's are rated in F not C. That being said....if you keep your oil temp no more than 30-40 above your water temp you'll be ok.

I may be wrong but If I'm looking at it correctly, to convert C to F I add roughly 70 to the C to get F. That would put you oil temp at around 180F and that's good. If your water temp is 195C that's very high. If I have miss figured anything or miss informed you I'm sorry, just trying to help you out.

[ June 05, 2007, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: fourbar83 ]

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, The 195C was a mistype. Should have been 105C Big Difference... Sorry
Dan

·
6,332 Posts
FWIW there is no straight across fudge factor to convert C to F or vice versa, you gotta do the math. Divide °C by 5, multiply by 9 and add 32 with thanks to Forrest Allen.
Frank

·
FFCobra Owner
865 Posts
interesting.........my car seems to stay at 90 to 97c on the H20....and on the oil.....never hardly ever gets up to 90c. I have an oil cooler..and sometimes, at speed....it doesn't even get up to 70 or 80c. this is not a problem from what I understand.......but I also make sure no temps on water above 97c. like a cooler engine.
...........fred z :cool:

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Fred you want the oil temp to get to 212ºF (100C) to boil off the water. From what I've read where you're running is too cool. I've also been told that there's almost no need for an oil cooler on a street driven motor.
I'd think about a thermostat for that cooler.

Some temps.
80C = 176F
90C = 194F
110C = 220F

·
FFCobra Owner
865 Posts
Mike....I hear what you say. I talked to my builder's partner...he said..the oil is not as important as the coolant temp. and that the coolant temp usually governs the oil temp. Yes, the need for an oil cooler on street car is not really needed..but is isn't really hurting anything. I get my water up to 97C and the oil usually will get to 80, sometimes 90C.
fred z

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
water 185º
oil 210º

with the heater on:

water 185º
oil 185º

????

·
Junior Charter Member
352 Posts
An engine that has had the bottom portion of the block poured with filler because of stroker reasons(grinding the block for clearence), can also run into higher than normal oil temp's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts