Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I pour Oil into each cylender wall? I'm sending heads to machiine shop to get redone. I know I've read something like this put just wanted to make sure. I will be getting heads redone, cleaning up/painting the engine, using my new felpro gaskets kit and installing my Mass-FLO. Than I will store for awhile since I'm still building the COBRA. Should I just put oil over the heads and wd40 the block once I recieve them back and then wrap the whole engine in plastic for storage in the garage?

Or should I just do the whole rebuild including heads for $950 :D with a 12 month warranty (but who knows when I will put the engine in). I would expect to send out for a rebuild a month prior to me having to drop it in, how should I store the used engine until then?

What should I do ?

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
You can do what I did and slowly build the motor yourself if you feel you can do the work. I started with a short block though that was sitting around. I spent the next 8 months building it up, buying parts, cleaning the exterior of the block and then painting it, performed quite a bit of measuring just to be sure most things were within specifications.

Every other paycheck went to buying something for it. Now it's just sitting on the engine stand bagged and once a month I turn the crank over a few times; I've slathered a lot of assembly lube intenrally and spray WD40 into the spark plug holes after every cranking. This will be on-going for another 1.5 years until my kit arrives. The wife is kinda giving into the fact I'm getting it next year so we'll have to play that by ear.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
I would pour oil in the engine now before breaking it down...or whatever the right thing to do is to store an engine. Then when you are working on your wiring, send the motor out for the rebuild. After you have the wires in, you could drop the motor in and you'll want it back then.

There's plenty of work to do just drilling and installing all the alum, suspension, brake & fuel lines...and at the pace you think you'll be working, why rush the motor.

·
Registered
852 Posts
IF YOU WANT TO SEAL UP A ENGINE I FOUND CHAINSAW OIL FOR THE CAIN WILL SEAL UP MACHINED SURFACES AND CAN CLEAN OFF WIYH BRAKE CLEANER LATER WD40 IS ONLY TEMP.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
Seems to me WD40 is just water displacing, but gets rather gummy after a while.I had my engine built, and the builder said he has had engines sitting for two years before they were started, and all with no problems. Only thing he recommended was to keep the valve springs loose till being used if it was going to be a long time. Also, the warranty on mine doesn't start till I start the motor. If you are worried about storing your motor, get some dessicant bags, put one in each header, and one in the intake and seal it up. No moisture, no rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts