Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,170 Posts
measure from the bottom of the 4" round tube to the ground.
It should be about 4.5" in that location.
Some have a bit less, some have more.

Olivier

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
measure from the bottom of the 4-inch round main frame tube. 4.5 inches is the answer.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think the better place to measure is 4" tube at the front end, to the ground and 4" tube at the rear, to the ground.
I think we are at 4" in front and 4.5" in the rear. 2x4 cut to length works well as a spacer.
Just slid it under the frame.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i can just slide a few 2x4s under the car then because there is no way im getting under that thing w/ a tape measure w/ it on the ground

dave

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I cut two 2x4's, one at 4" and one 4.5" out of some scrap I had laying around. Marked them "Front" and "Rear".
As you probably already know, a 2x4 isn't really 2" by 4" but 1.5"x3.5" app. So I cut two to length and keep them in the shop.
It's much easier than trying to get the tape measure under the tube.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
I believe 4.5 inches is recommended all around , as measured from the 4 inch tubes to the ground...
One way to make this , is to cut up a 4x4 post into(4) 8 inch lengths , (they are 3.5 inches square)
and cut (4) eight inch lengths of 5/4 deck boards
(they are 1 inch thick)...
Screw the 5/4 and 4x4s together to form (4) 4.5 inch blocks...Now the blocks should just barely slide under the frame in all four corners of the car.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
4.5 may be what we ended up with too, I would have to check again. Personally, I think they look better the lower you can get it w/o adverse effect.
With Tucson streets, sometimes my Dodge Ram 4x4 isn't high enough!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i leveled it at 4" front and 4.5" rear and there is still quite a wheelwell gap up front and little to none in the back. Looks somewhat odd. The body is sitting on the 3/4" tubes up front so it cannot go any lower. Odd but obviously normal..

dave

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have the body off at the moment so I can't look at it to see if it's the same as yours but the rear tire is about little to none with more gap in the front. Depends somewhat on size also.
Here's a couple pics of other cars I saved from the web just to compare:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,716 Posts
I've still got the donor wheels w/ 235/60x15 fr and 255/60x15 rear TA's and I feel like you do.Lowered the fr to 4 1/4 in and been keeping the rear about 5 due to bottoming.Just put Koni coilovers on the rear and that got rid of the bottoming so will try running lower this weekend.But 295/50 tire arrived yesterday and when the wheels get here that may start this process all over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts