1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lex, have you used these and did you like them. I found so many different ones on the internet but you can't tell a book by its cover right? I have seen several people reccomend books over the years but have not paid any attention until now when I need one. thanks kris

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found these in a recent post. Guess I'll pick one
How To Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines by Tom Monroe

How To Rebuild the Small-Block Ford by George Reid

Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance by Isaac Martin

Engine Builder's Handbook: How To Rebuild Your Engine To Original or Improved Condition by Tom Monroe

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I used Tom Monroe's book and built my 347 up with it. The book generally covers up to the early 80's motorss but the Windsor engines have not changed since the 60's so it's very relevant.

Also, Tom's been on this forum a few times so you can actually PM him if you need to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have zero experience building an engine but do not have the sense to take it to someone else. Where is the fun in that?

I have Tom's book, along with one titled "Max Performance HP on a Budget" or something like that. I like Tom's better.

I also really like the rebuild video from Boxwrench.net. A very professionally done video that goes through all steps of removal, teardown, reconditioning, rebuild and installation. Check out their website for a sample video clip.

-f-

·
2,860 Posts
Lex... Flathead?
Seriously, have we seen any FFR's built with a flathead? OR any other replica Cobra for that matter?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
I probably have Tom's book around somewhere, used it to rebuild my 289 25 yrs ago. That was pretty much the bible then, I doubt that has changed any since.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
427 Posts
Mongol -

The Tom Monroe book is great. Very detailed, good pictures, plenty of build tips and many torque specs. Mine is an older copy that doesn't cover EFI engines. A newer copy might have been updated to include EFI, if you care.

Ken

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
I've got the How To Rebuild the Small-Block Ford by George Reid
Seems to be pretty thorough.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Kris,

PM me your mailer. After buying a replacement, I finally found my old copy of Tom Monroe's book. It's a little tattered, & got some water stains now, but it still reads the same. If it doesn't have the info you need, you can spend your $ one one of the others.

Best,
Matt

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
I just used the engine chapter of Chiltons 1990 Mustang along with Tom Monroe's book. Monroe is very thorough but for those little changes (and big changes like fuel injection) the Chiltons fills in the blanks. Between these two books I don't think you need anything else.

Rick Williams

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I highly recommend borrowing one from a buddy and cheaping out on it yourself.

I used Steve Baird's book - an excellent and informative read.

How to rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines - Tom Monroe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts