Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on interviewing a paint shop. I want to go with a local shop and have found a couple that have painted "Cobras" before, mostly F5's.

I have searched around for previous topics and found a few things that just get me more confused about what's right, wrong, nice to do ,must do ,stay away from .....

I understand that 90% of the job is in the prep and materials. I've seen comments about bleed through with the wrong/cheap primer/sealer, different brands of paint and clear, some chip resistant stuff that high end cars use as a clear coat on and on and on.....

I just want to tell the shop what I want them to use so I can get a true quote on the job with the right materials. All the guys I spoke to have temperature controlled booths and one told me that he should wait a good week or so to let the paint dry before doing a clear because it could shrinks or something.

Please tell me what to ask for when I'm talking to these guys.

I have a MIII and just want to get a good value for a great paint job.

Thanks for your help!!

[ February 09, 2007, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Whisky Jim ]

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
Jim,To obtain more info talk to Ronnie Nocito owner of Advanced Autobody on Kersey Rd in Peace Dale.He has painted alot of Vets and he is super meticulous He has done body paint on my Saab-perfection.Use my name as he did offer to paint my FFR.He does tend to be a little pricey but he is worth it.He will show you his shop and probably have a glass car there being done.Good Luck!!!

·
Charter member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll check him out.

now go get some work done on that blue beauty so I can get a ride.

I just turned my garage heater on. It should be ready in about 30 min...I hope

·
Charter member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NAGA, no, thanks I'll move it there. More appropriate

·
FFCobra Fanatic
587 Posts
Read up all you can on this forum regarding preperation and painting. You will gain a lot of knowlwdge. To ensure value, you must be knowledgeable. Have a price in mind that you are willing to spend. If you want a show paint job, expect to pay for it ($10,000 and up). Nice driver jobs can be had for $5000 - $6000.
Some questions to ask:
1. Have you preped/painted fiberglas before?
2. Have you pained a FFR body before? It must be taken off the frame and remounted to do a proper job?
3. Has he laid out Cobra stripes before? Really makes the job easier/quicker if he has the measurements.
4. Determine time to complete the job. Many shops will take the car only to make it a side job and instead do insurance collision work first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.