Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all: I'm thinking of relocating my emergency/parking brake forward a couple of inches so that I can remount my Cobra Clubman seats. And while I'm at it, I've been thinking that it'd be a good time to replace my donor e-brake handle and cables with a new Lokar setup. My question is, what brake cables do I use? I'm running a rear axle, including disc brakes, out of a '97 Mustang Cobra.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
EC-81FU Explorer cables
EHB-7000F handle

·
Junior Charter Member
256 Posts
Luis,
I have that same setup except I mounted the handle on the trans tunnel. One thing to be aware of, it is almost imposible to set the brake enough to work. The springs on those calipers are VERY strong, and with the little Lokar handle, you don't get much leverage. My handle and cables move very smoothly by themselves. I was careful not to get the bend radius too tight anywhere, and I added graphite to the wire as I inserted it into the cable. Even so, it is a problem. I am not sure what I am going to do about it yet.
Dave

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
yeah, BobMac already reported how stiff was it to engage. Graphite? that some type of grease?

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Did you route the cables through the small cable bracket just behind the tunnel (it seems like it will make the cable bend pretty sharply going to the lokar handle). Or did you reroute the cables to come in lower and more "flat" towards the handle?

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Hi guys, here ismy understanding of the problem as best i can tell. If anyone has any differnet informaton or suggestions on the subject I'm all ears.
Here is the situation as best I know it with spring loaded caliper return springs.

Ergonomically the handle is in a tough location to provide any strong mechanical advantage to the lever. Next you have to over come the return spring force. Then you have to apply a force to the caliper piston to load the rotor. Now you let the button go on the handle . Unlike handles in the Mustang there is no handle ratchet spring. The problem now is to try and lift the handle to release the button. It's like pushing against a brick wall or should I say a steel rotor. The only give in the system is the cable stretch.
I've found I can't really apply very much force pulling up on the 8" long Lokar handle to lock the rotors. I have tried slipping a deep well socket over the handle with an 18" extension bar and can provide more force. Again now the problem of how do you release the button? You can't get to the button with the socket on the handle. Well I guess you can lift up and push the socket to push the button. I don't want to be carrying an ebrake lifter "tool" with me. At the suggestion of Richard Oben, I'm looking into adding a steel ball valve to the rear brake line ( Richard sells them for this purpose)... When you want to "park" the car you step on the brakes, turn the valve handle and trap the pressure in the rear brake line, locking the rear brakes. Like wise when you want to drive, you turn the valve and release the pressure of the "parking" brake. It is NOT an EMERGENCY brake. The other alternative is to use a different year rear rotor assembly that uses a brake shoe emergency brake. If I'm not understanding how the spring caliper mechanism works pleasse enlighten me.
Thanks,
Bob Mac
FFR3981

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.