Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was a T-5 and out of a 88 mustang, but the #s' do not match when I went to purchase the rebuild kit. On the case assy it says Borg warner

in script, Basic 2 , p/n 1352-065-904, any help greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
From 89 trans, is it a world class?, we have

We read:
The casting numbers don't mean anything for identifying the T-5. You need the numbers off the tin tag. Check out T-5 NUMBERS for a list.

If you can read the numbers on the counter gear, this is what I've found for V8 numbers:

052 = '85-'89, WC, 3.35 1st gear
060 = '83-'84, NWC, 2.95 1st
065-068 = '90-Up, WC, 3.35 1st
070 = XWC, Super Alloy gears

This list may not be complete.

Greg
posted 01-13-2003 08:41 PM

Hope this helps.

[ October 27, 2007, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Larry N. Johnson ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Larry, have no tag on it. But from what I have found it looks to be a NWC, anyone know if this would be a problem? Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
It depends on the gears inside, not the casting. That reference thread says the "counter gear" in the tranny has the key part number you need. You may indeed have a WC T-5.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking thru google and they said if the front cap by the input shaft has no markings and the tranny contains all brass synchros then it would be NWC, I see a # on the counter gear B2R012, I may be looking at the wrong one?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Bill when looking at the front cap. Non w/c will just have a plug/cap there that is non magnetic. Check to see if a magnet sticks to it. If so chances are it is w/c as this cap is actually a bearing race for a tapered bearing.
non wc does only have brass non fiber lined blocker rings and not as strong as wc trannys are. They also use bushings internally instead of roller bearings like wc.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the cap is magnetic, I just wonder from the websites I have seen that they say all brass synchros make it nwc. I want to get the correct rebuild kit. So far from everyone I am being told its wc. Would a pic of the inside help? I also the roller bearings at the front of the shaft

·
2,860 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Bill haveing the front roller bearing is not a decideing check as to wc or non wc. Looking inside would definetlly tell and since you need to rebuild it anyhow. Once remove the main shaft it will be obvios if wc or not. You'll see bearings instead of bushings.
Not aware of the non wc haveing a higher first gear? But a guick check of first gear would indicate ratio and may be of some help.
Once dissasembled and pulling the input shaft off. Seeing bearings instead of non wc bushings will be the check.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys
Mumbler - yep ck those sites. Ther was ATF in it = WC as per site

Hindsight -
going to disassemble next wknd, thanks for your insight!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts