Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to purchase an altenator. I'll be getting a one wire, chrome job, 100 amps or so. Do I get a GM or a Ford. I have an FE motor in my car and I'll be using the stock alt. brkts.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
If you're going to use stock brackets, get the Ford. Your life will be much easier.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I bought a 1-wire GM alternator and Forte's brackets. It all bolted together just fine. I took the alternator pulley off of the donor alternator and bolted it straight to the GM alternator with no problems. It's a very easy conversion.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
Don't want to steel you thread but I'm at the same point. I'll be using a March pully set up and would like to use a one-wire setup. Will the GM alt work with the March setup?

·
6,305 Posts
I must be dense, but I just don't understand the infatuation with 1 wire alts. I'm using a 3G from Mr Alternator with only two wires to hook up. Pretty simple if you ask me, and no hocus pocus to get it to charge.
Frank

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
I vote for the 3G-simple hook up and all Ford.
I have two applications-the roadster and a 93 LX Mustang convertible. I'm happy with them!
Best regards,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
I agree. I use an old style Ford part: Simple, cheap, light weight, low drag, easy to replace. So you have to wire an external regulator, big deal.

·
6,305 Posts
Functionality issues aside for the moment, I don't find the external fan setup very appealing either. Chroming them just seems to make them even more ugly.
Frank

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts