Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Actual builder now!
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am afraid to ask but what is this and should it be in the oil pan of my 302?
I am pretty sure I know the answer to the second part. It looks too small a diameter to me to be a push rod tip.
Scale Ruler Office ruler Tool Measuring instrument
Ruler Wood Rectangle Slope Font
Ruler Wood Office ruler Floor Flooring
Scale Ruler Office ruler Tool Measuring instrument
Ruler Wood Rectangle Slope Font
Ruler Wood Office ruler Floor Flooring

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,810 Posts
That's not from a push rod and it is cast. Looks like a locating pin but i can't think of where because all the ones that would be that size would be machine steel like cam pin or roller rocker pins.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
The only thing I can think of is maybe the pin out of a roller tip rocker if you have them? The good news is it looks too big to get past the screen on the oil pump. Probably best to pull your valve covers and have a look at the valve train as a first easy step. Good Luck. Scott

·
Actual builder now!
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing I can think of is maybe the pin out of a roller tip rocker if you have them? The good news is it looks too big to get past the screen on the oil pump. Probably best to pull your valve covers and have a look at the valve train as a first easy step. Good Luck. Scott

I do have roller rockers. Found this while trying to find a pesky oil leak. Like all of them it drips from the bottom of the back of the engine so I was replacing the oil pan gasket as a first guess. Looks like I will be replacing Valve cover gaskets too now. ... and maybe a bunch more important stuff. Thanks.

·
Actual builder now!
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not from a push rod and it is cast. Looks like a locating pin but i can't think of where because all the ones that would be that size would be machine steel like cam pin or roller rocker pins.

Thanks Gordon. Guessing I am pulling the valve covers next. Engine was running fine before I decided to change the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Blind hole, in a round cast iron bump. Looks like it might have some chamfer on the closed end. No sign of threads in the hollow, that I can see. If the scale in the pics are 1/8th inch, that makes it about 3/8" OD.
Might be a blind hole on one of the front or rear oil pan bolts. Too long of a bolt, could break something. I do not think the oil pump mount or cam retainer bolt holes are blind. Never noticed the timing cover bolt holes.
I certainly hope the roller rockers do not use cast rollers or pins.

·
Actual builder now!
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blind hole, in a round cast iron bump. Looks like it might have some chamfer on the closed end. No sign of threads in the hollow, that I can see. If the scale in the pics are 1/8th inch, that makes it about 3/8" OD.
Might be a blind hole on one of the front or rear oil pan bolts. Too long of a bolt, could break something. I do not think the oil pump mount or cam retainer bolt holes are blind. Never noticed the timing cover bolt holes.
I certainly hope the roller rockers do not use cast rollers or pins.
OK but that is an inch on a ruler so the OD is more like 3/16" so pretty small for a bolt hole and the hole in the rough end might be 1/16"

·
Registered
289 mk4
5 Posts
Hopefully a leftover from a previous life. Just lucky it made its way to the pan without causing to much mischief

1 - 8 of 8 Posts