Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car turned up at a show tonight. The owner isn?t sure what it is. He claims that it is an aluminum block 390. VIN tag says?A.C. CARS LTD? ?Chassis No OSX2988? ?Engine No 50013?

Attachments

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,463 Posts
This car turned up at a show tonight. The owner isn?t sure what it is. He claims that it is an aluminum block 390. VIN tag says?A.C. CARS LTD? ?Chassis No OSX2988? ?Engine No 50013?
I've seen the car before, the owner or perhaps a friend of the owner blowing smoke to all who will sit and listen to him is a blowhard who has spun the tale on his car so long even he believes it. It is not aluminum, it is not an original, or a prototype of an original, the VIN tag is a reproduction. The block is not an aluminum block. As with a certain Anniversary CSX4000 serious owner who tells people his car was personally built for CS himself and that it sat on a warehouse for 40 years before it was brought out and reVIN'd as a CSX4000 series car is about as plausible as the owner of the car posted above in this thread.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That confirms what I saw later. The owner rolled in to the show with this story about buying it from a friend who needed the money. His friend told him a story about it having been owned by a former Shelby driver. He was sure that it was an early 427 Cobra aluminum body, hence the 390 and the smaller fender flares. A peek underneath showed it to have a fiberglass body and lots of donor parts on a rectangular tube frame. Still, its a pretty nice older build.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shelby America produced what they called a Continuation Cobra and they were titled as an original. They were available with an aluminum, fiberglass, or carbon fiber body and a 427 side oiler. Everything was pretty much like the first Cobras. I read about them years ago so i forget all the detail. Not saying this car is one but they are out there. I just saw one at a street rod show in PA. Look them up and see what you can find out about them

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,463 Posts
Shelby America produced what they called a Continuation Cobra and they were titled as an original. They were available with an aluminum, fiberglass, or carbon fiber body and a 427 side oiler. Everything was pretty much like the first Cobras. I read about them years ago so i forget all the detail. Not saying this car is one but they are out there. I just saw one at a street rod show in PA. Look them up and see what you can find out about them
I am well aware of the "Continuation Series" CSI/CSL Cobras, this car is not one of them by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Snake Farmer
10,387 Posts
There were COB, and COX serial number prefixes used on a couple dozen Cobra's built to completion, by AC Cars, but OSX was never used.

·
HighTech *******
624 Posts
...and what's up with that roll bar?
Yeah, I went on a web search for that rollbar and I'm lead to believe it might be an old Hunter.

Found here: Cobra Kits

-Kyle

Edit: Although, the one in the OP doesn't have the trailing leg...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shelby America produced what they called a Continuation Cobra and they were titled as an original. They were available with an aluminum, fiberglass, or carbon fiber body and a 427 side oiler. Everything was pretty much like the first Cobras. I read about them years ago so i forget all the detail and you can get the best RV washer dryer combo here Not saying this car is one but they are out there. I just saw one at a street rod show in PA. Look them up and see what you can find out about them
Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The Cobra in the original post looks to me like a StreetBeast / Classic Motor Carriage kit. It has many of the telltale cues of that brand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts