Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to run 9" x 17" inch rims all around. Just curious what the widest tire some one is using on the front. How tough would 275's be to turn? It would be nice to have the same size all around to rotate front to back when necessary.
Thanks Chris

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
I have 275s with the 15:1 rack and I think they're fine....the only problem I have is now I want even wider back tires....! :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Chris, John is running 275s in the front without issue. He does however have FFR tubular lowers.

Take care,

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
i fit 275s (275/40/17) on a 17x9 in the front with no rubbing or other problems. i have the stock lowers. havent heard of any bigger sizes tried.

-james

·
Registered
392 Posts
Okay, those are the widest front tires, but what about the back??? what is the widest you can fit with a live axle???

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. It looks as though the wheel will contact the lower A arm only at extreme left or right during a BIG bump. Therefore I do not think it will be a major issue, but I will modify the arms, just for fun.

James, when you say your arms are stock, what year?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,526 Posts
John, the widest 17" tire on the rear depends on how much work you want to do. 275's will work on a live axle without any mods. The next larger size is usually a 315, which requires some frame modification, welding, and modified aluminum panels. You'll also have to use coil-over shocks. I did the frame modifications in a couple of hours, haven't gotten to the aluminum yet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Chris:

We could just take the backs of my car and swap them to the front and take a spin around Brooklin and see if or how bad they rub.

Cheers Ray

[ October 22, 2002, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: raddogis ]

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
91 donor (front lowers). the wheels rubbed on the old style front UPPER arms, not the lowers. when i changed to the new arms i dont think they rub anymore.

-james

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
James, do you have manual or power steering?

Raddogis, sounds like fun, would look sorta silly, but would be interesting. You never come over, neighbour.

Rims came in today, two tires, 275's will be here in a couple days, if they fit on the front, I will order 2 more. Hope they won't be to tough to turn with a manual rack. Anyone think that the stock rag joint will be okay for crankin around some big meats on the front?

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
ive used both power and manual steering on my car with the stock rack. (there isnt any difference with clearance)

i also have a set of 15" wheels that fit. (around my sway bars too!)

-james

[ October 22, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Ophitoxaemia ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts