Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to put in a 351 which well be stock except for a minor few parts but does any one have a stock 351 winsor and if so what is your mpg.
please let me know.. and a 302 if possible.. im trying to build a budget car the best i can...

·
Charter Member
750 Posts
Bob, I have a stock 351 block, with lo compression pistons, Edelbrock RPM heads, and a mild cam.It also has Mass- Flo EFI.It probably has in the neighborhood of 350 HP. On a trip I usually tickle 20MPG.
Ergie

·
FFCobra Owner
865 Posts
Well, still dialing it in.. and calculating.....but seens to get about 10....moving into 12 if I keep the foot quiet.....which is hard to do.
I have a 351w....stroked to 427....mass flo...with bad ass cam... 550 hp and 550 tq.....so, what was I to expect....a charming 15 mpg?
fred z :cool:

·
Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
If you are building one of these totally concerned about fuel mileage, I would advise not to build one. If you are building one just to save money you are doing it for the wrong reason. If you are going to use a stock donor engine you are going to get at least the mileage out of it as the donor got if not better. Allow some difference depending on gearing. You have to remember the motor is only pushing around 2200 lbs also, so that will give you better fuel range. My 345 hp crate motor has gotten near 18 mpg in a 60 mile cruise 70+ mph. If you under horsepower the car you may be kicking yourself after completion. In regards both to everyones desire to always want something more or better and in resale value. Just my opinion.

·
6,559 Posts
10,000 miles / 12MPG x 2.63gal = $2,191.00
10,000 miles / 20MPG x 2.63gal = $1,315.00

You save $876.00

And another thought... if you go 302EFI, you don't have to use the 2.63/gal stuff so you can save another $100....

10,000 miles / 20MPG x 2.43gal = $1,215

I drive that many miles per year in my car. I'll be putting two girls through college and a wedding for both. Building a car like this while trying to save money is a noble pursuit. If anyone has figured out how to do this, please PM me. :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,092 Posts
I have a efi 408 and get about 18mpg highway and 11 to 15 city.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
The most efficient EFI engines are getting 20-23 MPG in these cars. Youd expect better milage with a car so light, so I think the horrible areodynamics of the Cobra are a factor at highway speeds.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.