Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get some 1" long header bolts.I am thinking that I will go with allen head and I was woundering if there is a diff between "header bolt" allens and regular hardened allen at the local hardware store?

Also,has anyone ever used bellville washers on header bolts.(If you could find them,or make them fit?)

TIA Bart

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
You could probably use regular allens, but on most headers, there will be a few tubes (4&8)where you probably can't get an allen wrench in there.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
There are 2 locations, maybe 3, that are too tight for an allen. What I did was cut a 1/2" long piece off a 5/16" allen wrench and use it with a small box wrench to get those 2 or 3 tight. However, if you intend on going to the trouble of installing them, why not spend a few bucks and order drilled head allens from McMaster-Carr. Safety wire is foolproof and easier to manipulate than any other bolt-locking mechanism.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Bart,
Have you looked at the Stage 8 header bolts? They have a hex head with a small allen in the middle. You can screw in the bolt until it's seated, then put a wrench on it. They include lock tabs that will insure never to loosen.
I have them in stock for popular engines.
Mike Forte

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Safty wire and bolts are on the way.
THANKS GUYS
Bart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts