Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand the instruction which reads...."Torque to 100-120 lb.ft"...

Do I torque the bolt to 100, then again to 120 to be at proper torque? Or do I simply need to get into the 100-120 range on first try?

This forum is dynamite, and this car build is so satisfying!

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Steve,
It really depends on what you are torquing. If it is more than one bolt or nut, it will require a sequence to go though and steps to get to the required torque. Most fasteners require a lubricant too. Head bolts on Fords need a sealant. Call me if you have any questions. I see you live in Weston. I live next door in Wellesley. If you need any tools or thoughts fell free to call.
Mike Forte
Forte's Parts Connection
376 R Cambridge Street
Burlington, MA 01803
781-273-9900
cell,248-8946
hm,235-5868

·
Junior Charter Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike.

I'm installing front/rear suspension parts, and thoroughly enjoying it. My sense is that I'm okay on torquing these bolts within the range specified in the instructions(eg 100+ when the instructions say 100-120)...rather than trying to hit the upper torque limit (120) exactly.

On engine parts, I've sequenced the torquing under supervision of a close friend/mechanic. He finds my whole build experience quite entertaining, and loves to provide assistance and emergency relief too.

I plan on installing your adjustable clutch quad when the time arrives, and will stop by to introduce myself before then. Rumor is that you're VERY busy, so I'll keep it brief.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
I'd like to add to this thread as I was about to post something similar.

Basically I have a whole rear assembley (IRS) all put together but nothing torqued down yet. There are a *lot* of nuts/bolt on the FFR where there is no recommend on how much to tighten everything. Bunch of nuts/bolts on the front end too that I'm just about done with. I'm also concerned about torquing all the drivetrain components without the sustension being 'loaded'.

What did the rest of you do about this? Its the only thing standing between me & a roller!

·
Senior Charter Member
564 Posts
The front of my Mustang Manual has recommended torque values for a given bolt size and grade. Most of the given values have ended up in these ranges.

·
Super Moderator
29,468 Posts
My FFR manual states how much to torque the front and rear suspension componets.

The rest of the nuts and fasteners do not require torque requirements (I believe)

As a side note to Bill (admin), we should set up a torque spec sheet in the FAQ section. It could be titled "Torque Specs". Comments?

2FAST

[ October 14, 2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: 2FAST4U ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,852 Posts
Torque specs FAQ would be useful
TEC

·
4,494 Posts
Steve: If these are the suspension bolts, I think almost all of the are graduated torque type or self locking, thus it is better if you bring them up to the stated torque requirement in a couple of steps. It doesn't matter if you get them to 100 or 120, anything in that range meets the design engineer's specs.

·
Junior Charter Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I'm installing the rear end tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I re-read my build manual(which is very good) on the rear-end installation, p.44, steps #2&3....installing the Rear Traction-Lok Assembly....it's not clear what to torque the 2 short bolts to, is it? It only seems to give the spec for tightening the lower shock bracket.

Also, I think the FAQ idea is good. The torque specs would help, but how about ideas on how the experts know/remember that they've torqued a particular nut? Do they mark them somehow?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.