Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,314 Posts
Budget paint shops. In and out for low prices. A buddy of mine got his '78 Chevy Stepside painted for $495.00. Orange peel and over spray everywhere, but you know that before you go.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
http://www.maaco.com/

Low-budget auto painting franchise. Some people get lucky but they're in the minority. I had a buddy in high school that got the top of the line paint job and he went back weekly for them to fix issues.

Their famous commerical...

Dopey people get in a car wreck. The person looks at the camera and says, "Uh, oh. Better get Maaco".

·
Charter Member
768 Posts
We've use Maaco on some of the fleet vehicles in areas we haven't gotten a license for a paint booth or Osha approval. I think the key to getting a better than average Maaco paint job or any other paint job for that matter is the preparation of the surface and masking or emblem removal. We do all the body work and 90 percent of the prep work in our shops and then trailer the car or truck to Maaco to get squirted. We do get some curtains from time to time, but we have yet to have any problems with the paint coming off or flaking. If anything they lay it on a little too heavy, but in the northern climates that is actually a good thing to help protect the body from the salt etc.
Maaco's really cheap paint jobs come on a half dozen flavors of paint and red is generally not one of them. They buy paint in bulk and while it is pretty good paint, it's not the best. My beater pickup truck was shot be a company called Earl Scheib which is another nation wide chain of body and paint shops. It is about 5 years old and still shine really well although I have yet to wax it and I wash it maybe 3 times a year.
Forgive me Mr. Bat. Maybe you need a catchy commercial like "Got a boo-boo, call the Bat!"

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Same guy that started the AAMCO franchises started MAACO. Anthony A. Martinez Co = AAMCO

Guess he ran out of cool ideas when he went to name the paint shop.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Having a Maaco do quality work has to do with the prep and bodywork involved. if you have a sale on a paint job at say $249.95, this does not include any additional work. They will bring the car in to the shop, give it a quick sanding, and spray the paint color of your choice on the car. if there are dents, or cracks in your exisiting paintwork, then the cost to have these items taken care of is extra. For those who bring in a car in "ready to paint" condition, all body work done, sanded, primed, and so forth, it can be a very good bargain. However, I have rarely seen a car come in to any of the shops I deal with that is in "ready for paint" condition...There is always something that the "prep" person has missed, or not done properly.......Let's face it, you get what you pay for in life (and in body work and paint work), to most, MAACO seems to have a negative stereotype, but I've used them to paint over 30 cars (personal items, not fleet items) without ever a problem that could not be resolved by the owner(s) of any particular MAACO franchise (each MAACO is different in ownership) that I used at the time (most were due to my own lack of prep, or because I thought the upsale was not needed, or was not in my best interest.............

Bill S.

[ April 20, 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: mrmustang ]

·
Charter Member
110 Posts
Mike D-

The guys name is Anthony Martino. I knew his kids. Nice guy.

Started out as a tranny guy. Became a franchise guy. Then started paint franchises.

I don't think he has worked on a tranny or a paint job in a long time. :)
-Chip

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Oops, yep you're right. My dad had an AAMCO in the 70s and 80s and I remembered (apparantly poorly) him telling me what it stood for.

·
16,719 Posts
Not for nothing, but we used a Maaco in MA and the vans we had painted all came out great. These were the $500.00 jobs. Our vans did not need alot of work so maybe that is why.
I was told that they will do more expensive ("better") jobs if needed. So I would think that if you were to ask for a more intense paint job, they would oblige.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Justa Member
1,225 Posts
UK...don't let these guys fool you, Maaco is a top of the line shop that painters like Batman strive to be like..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

;)
OJ

·
18,090 Posts
Maybe you need a catchy commercial like "Got a boo-boo, call the Bat!"
Bwah ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa..............

That's RICH!!!!!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
As everyone has said, MAACO is an "in and out" volume oriented paint/body shop. They tend to be targeted towards people who want a quick paint job on their older car, or have minor crash damage, but don't have collision coverage on their insurance.

Having been an appraiser for an auto insurance company all these years, I can tell you that the quality is very much dependant on the franchise owner. I've seen some that were very poor, as others have talked about. But I can honestly say I've seen some MAACO shops that have very good owners and do a nice job. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for an older car that just needs a quick shot, or even some simple bodywork. If the franchise owner takes the time and effort to have it done right, it's a terrific bargain. But as Bill said, remember, the price is without any bodywork. And few cars that are old don't need ANY bodywork.

Steve

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Maaco does decent work if you do prep. Almost all the kids in the town I live in with old beat up trucks spend a few days doing body work on their trucks then get a 500 dollar maaco enamel paint job with clear and it looks fine. So long as you remove all trim and put crappy tires and wheels on, it will not look bad. If you let them mask....well that is a different story. Another friend got a 189 dollar ambasador compact car special. They painted the headlights, the wipers, the side view mirrors. Needles to say it was one hell of a monotone 84 camry. It was not pretty.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Aaron is right on the money. I did all the body work on my Corvette, then drove it over there and had em shoot it. Heck of a nice job (cause the body prep was outstanding...lol). Yes it had some peel, but I knew I would be cutting and buffing it anyway. I just had to wet sand out some areas. The biggest part was trying to get em to load up my imron as they wanted to use only thier colors/paint.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Which may not be the higest quality paint in the world....what do you expect for a 500 dollar paint job haha? Their paint is probably 15 dollars a gallon. A good paint job in materials alone should be well over 500.

On another notea bout cheapo jobs, most "production" body shops (big ones that specialize in collision stuff, but not maaco, earl schieb etc) can shoot a car with a good bc/cc job if it is all prepped for around 1000.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
AJ,

They buy it in the quart just like everyone else...Comes out to $119/gallon for anything but Red/Yellow/Magenta, which is $180 a gallon. Each shop is allowed to source his/her paint from any vendor/supplier they want to, which is why each shop has it's own "finished quality"...........

Aaron,
Again, the paint costs vary from shop to shop, however, if prep work is truly complete (I have yet to see a car come in to any shop that was truly ready for paint), yes, for $1,000, you'll get an excellent paint job out of a MAACO, if they are using a quality paint product in the first place...That, and their "bake booth" is set up properly.............

Bill S.

PS: You've heard the razor commercial with the slogan "I liked the razor so much I bought the company"....More details coming soon.....

[ April 22, 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: mrmustang ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts