Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little help from the Mustang experts ;)

I am doing a non-donor build but I am looking for a gas tank. What years can I use? The manual says 87-93. I am going carb so can I also use an older one? With minor changes can I use one from 94 or newer? Are they all the same capacity? :confused:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Rod,

You can get a new one for about $145.00. By the time I had the donor tank cleaned up and painted on the MKI, I could have just bought one. That's exactly what I did on my non donor MKII. Worth the $. Paint it ( if you want ) and you're done.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
Auto zone sells the 87-93 for 109 around here. Advance auto slightly more. I think you have to buy the sender seperately. The 85 and earlier should fit fine but I'm having trouble finding a fuel pick up for it. I have a donor tank but want a carb fuel pick up if possible. Lemme know if you find one.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew about the package from Breeze but I thought the price was high for what you get.

I know you can get a new tank and for the money I may still do that. What I don't have is all the other parts. Filler neck, cover, sender, straps...

I have seen the carb pick up tube but don't remember where. I think one of the venders here.

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
On the same topic, does any one know where the plastic tank liner(goes against the bottom of tank) is available and if it's really needed?

Thanks, Matt

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Matt - the plastic liner is needed. It affords quite a bit of protection for the tank and the mounting straps won't work without it. As you've noticed, they are hard to get. And to make matters all the better, Ford has stopped making them. You might try Dave's Mustang Parts out in Arizona. Good people to deal with, prices are good, and I've yet to ask for a part they did not have. They're number is (505) 344-8393.

Frank n Sons.

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
Frank, thanks for the info. I've searched a few times and came up with nothing, I'll call tomorrow.
Rod, sorry for the hi-jack.

Matt

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the idea's.
What I am really looking for is a year comparison to look for used parts.

For a carb how old can I go? `85, `84...
Can the tank from newer models be used on a Mark II? `94 and up.
Are there differences in the number of galons that the different years can hold?

Maybe I am looking for options that are not there.

Thanks Rod

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Prestige Mustang in Clarkston GA has used covers. I got my tank, cover, straps, filler tube, misc bolts for about $100. Dont have the number infront of me, i'll find it later.

BTW, im using and 85 mustang gt intank pump for carb.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Breeze offers a stainless steel carbureted fuel pickup kit. This is our own design. Part number is 70099. Price is $79 and includes a suction strainer, fuel hose, stainless spring clamps and NPT to barb fittings for your mechanical pump. It comes with EzePak Fuel Carb (TM).

·
6,546 Posts
Mark Reynolds offers TOP NOTCH service to go along with his parts that fit right and work the first time. I'm a VERY satisfied customer of his.

Regards,

Bill

·
3,645 Posts
The breeze pickup is the only way to go....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.