Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size fuse should be used for the Grand National Pump for the brakes? From the looks of the wire I am guessing about 15 amps or so. It has a fuseable link on the harness I have for it, but I want to bring it to the fuse box or use an inline blade fuse.

Thanks,
Nathan
 

·
FFCobra Fanatic
Joined
·
2,510 Posts
Use a fuse as well. I'm currently running it on a 10 amp. I had a small fire over the summer when the fluid level ran low due to a leak in the feed line to the pump the wires over heated and caught on fire. The fusable link wasn't helpful in that situation.
 

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cobramd,

I was planning on just cutting out the fusable link since I want to go direct to the fuse block, it is a short run and I think that would be easier in the future.

Did the fire take out the pump or just the wires? I take it you did not have the 10 amp fuse on there before the fire?

Thanks,
Nathan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
Cobramd, are you saying the non-fusible link portion of wiring or the motor burned? If this is the case, the fusible link is sized wrong (read I have to check mine). Is this a John Spina harness?
 

·
FFCobra Fanatic
Joined
·
2,510 Posts
It was the wires in the spina harness it looked like the one going to the motor. The motor itself was not burned but was real hot. I have a new setup in place and I just run the live straight to the fuse box with a 10 amp fuse. No problems over the last six months. Though my first setup ran problem free for about 2 1/2 yrs.
 

·
Driver not a Waxer
Joined
·
175 Posts
I plan to wire the GN booster in parallel with the Holley blue fuel pump. My reason is I have a switch on the dash that lets me work on the car without all the pumps going. I'm thinking maybe a 15 amp fuse...

Don't have a harness, do my own wiring.
 

·
Senior Charter Member
Joined
·
405 Posts
Looks to me like the motor overheated due to friction (or whatever) from lack of fluid and burned the wires from its own heat, not form a short and excessive current draw. Is this right. if so, then this is not a fusible link issue or a wiring issue at all.

Dave
 

·
FFCobra Fanatic
Joined
·
2,510 Posts
The motor was far away from the source of the fire. It clearly was overheated wiring that burned.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top