Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size fuse should be used for the Grand National Pump for the brakes? From the looks of the wire I am guessing about 15 amps or so. It has a fuseable link on the harness I have for it, but I want to bring it to the fuse box or use an inline blade fuse.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Use a fuse as well. I'm currently running it on a 10 amp. I had a small fire over the summer when the fluid level ran low due to a leak in the feed line to the pump the wires over heated and caught on fire. The fusable link wasn't helpful in that situation.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cobramd,

I was planning on just cutting out the fusable link since I want to go direct to the fuse block, it is a short run and I think that would be easier in the future.

Did the fire take out the pump or just the wires? I take it you did not have the 10 amp fuse on there before the fire?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
717 Posts
Cobramd, are you saying the non-fusible link portion of wiring or the motor burned? If this is the case, the fusible link is sized wrong (read I have to check mine). Is this a John Spina harness?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
It was the wires in the spina harness it looked like the one going to the motor. The motor itself was not burned but was real hot. I have a new setup in place and I just run the live straight to the fuse box with a 10 amp fuse. No problems over the last six months. Though my first setup ran problem free for about 2 1/2 yrs.

·
Driver not a Waxer
175 Posts
I plan to wire the GN booster in parallel with the Holley blue fuel pump. My reason is I have a switch on the dash that lets me work on the car without all the pumps going. I'm thinking maybe a 15 amp fuse...

Don't have a harness, do my own wiring.

·
Senior Charter Member
405 Posts
Looks to me like the motor overheated due to friction (or whatever) from lack of fluid and burned the wires from its own heat, not form a short and excessive current draw. Is this right. if so, then this is not a fusible link issue or a wiring issue at all.

Dave

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
The motor was far away from the source of the fire. It clearly was overheated wiring that burned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts